Greasy Icing

Baking By erilay Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm by erilay

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 4

What type of shortning is the best. Sometimes my icing feels greasy. I use the wilton buttercream and do half shortning and half butter. I am thinking of trying a recipe where u add a piece of butter at a time like a swiss merainge. Can I still use this and cover my cake with fondant? Any help would be great. Also any recipes. I have 2 cakes this weekend and I am nervous bc the last icing I made with crisco was a mess.
Thanks.

3 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 4

Crisco has changed to 0 transfat try using an off brand that has transfat or the hi ratio type of shortening HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 4

This is the recipe that I prefer: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing It's not greasy at all and it crusts really well, making it ideal for covering with fondant. You don't miss the taste of butter in it either, the way I thought I would...somehow the Dream Whip powder is like a magic potion that makes perfect frosting.

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for your help. The recipe you gave has crisco in it. Just use a store brand like walmart? Also I noticed dream whip powder mix. Just add it in powder form? Also every time I use it I feel it has a chemical taste. Do u notice that, and also can u taste it in the icing? I am using it under fondant so would that be ok, or should I sray the cake with water before I aply the fondant?
Thanks Again,
Erica
I am very greatful for your advice. My worst fear is dissapointing a costumer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%