How Do You Do It?

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm by sulia

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

How do you get things like crushed nuts/coconut/jimmies on the SIDE of the cake? I just can't find a simple way without the mess going on the floor.

9 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 10

I just put them in my hand and lightly press. Put your cake on a turntable and put a sheet pan under the turntable. That will catch most of the strays.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:40am
post #3 of 10

I do the same thing. Then just scoop up and use the ones that have dropped.

Echooo3 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks, just seems like there should be an easier way. I just put coconut on a cake covered with whipped cream, what a mess.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 10

use an icing scraper- I just lightly put that against the cake and fill it with whatever ingredients I need, then lightly press it on- doesn't get my hands as dirty. Also you could use that craft foam/paper stuff for kids that you find at the hobby stores- its bigger and more flexible. Or you could probably use paper.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 10

I do it exactly as April does it.

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:43am
post #7 of 10

try this...

first ice the sides of the cake only.
then spread the nuts/coconut or whatever sprinkles onto some wax or parchment paper.
then hold the cake in your hands (palms on top and bottom of cake) and then turn it vertically . roll the sides of the cake gently onto the sprinkles, a little at a time - there is really very little mess this way. remember to gently tough the sides of the cake to the sprinkles to avoid getting any icing on to the sprinkles.

good luck.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 10

Ooooh Sulia that's an excellent idea. I always avoid putting coconut and sprinkles on cake sides because it seems like it would be too much trouble. Even icing the sides only first, then putting the sprinkles onto the sides by hand, then brushing off the sprinkles on top before frosting the top would also be easier than fussing with a fully iced cake then trying to sprinkle the sides afterwards - thanks for the tipicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 10

sulia, excellent idea!!!

You are the best!

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 10

you are welcome... glad you liked the tip - i found the idea in a little cake book published in 1981. sometimes oldies are still goodies!

warm regards, sulia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%