Please Help With Candy Clay

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm by -K8memphis

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 5

I posted a question before about making candy clay with the "NEW" thinned out corn syrup with the candy wafers, then I made a some and found that it worked.....

HOWEVER, it didn't!!! my candy clay was a mess....some didn't set hard, some had nasty little dry flakes that wouldn't knead out...

So, does anyone have any ideas? Does the "new" corn syrup have water in it that's mucking things up, do I need to add more corn syrup? (I use 14 oz candy melts to 1/3 cup corn syrup)

please help as the candy clay is one of my main decorating go to's....and I've just had an issue with my cake today because of this.

4 replies
keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 5

wish that I could help. I didn't know there was a "new" corn syrup. Did you stir it enough? Mine has always set up and kneading it removes the spots for me. Did you try again?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 5

I haven't heard of the new stuff.

So sorry you're having issues.

I just make sure my corn syrup is the same temp as my chocolate--mix till I can't mix. I mean you can even let it setup in the frige if you need it quick.

I just use the whole pound of wafers--what am I gonna do with two leftover ounces.

Make a new batch maybe?

What new thinned out corn syrup?

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 5

the corn syrup recently is thinner than it used to be. I've had issues with it with fondant and now with candy clay.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 5

Ohhh- the product changed.

Yeah I've noticed over the years that stuff is definitely getting thinner & thinner.

An idea is to cook it a bit gently so it doesn't brown--just enough to get some of the water cooked off.

Mind you--I've never done it--it's just a thought to thicken it up.

Hope it doesn't brown--use a thick thick heavy bottomed pot if you try it.

The flecks in the end product are either from stuff that didn't melt in the first place or from stuff that burned while melting (happens easy) or from stuff that hardened up prematurely from the difference in the temp of the cornsyrup to the choco/candy stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%