Does Anyone Know About Police/law For Vandalism?????

Lounge By sweetflowers Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm by Dale

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 13 son's car window was broken. My husband saw the kid do it, we have the brick which is very unique (hand painted) that was from this kids garage. But the kid called my son today and said the police can't touch him, he claims to the police that my son was threatening him (a lie). Does that mean the police won't do anything? Anyone know?

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 13

You need to call the police. Since your husband saw it happening, he can make a report about who it was.

My truck got keyed before and I knew who had done it...but since I didn't see the witch do it, I couldn't do anything except make a report about the damage and then claim it on insurance. The police kept telling me if I had seen her do it, they would be able to do more...almost like they wanted me to say I had seen it, but I didn't.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 13

We did call the police immediately. Today the police talked to the kid, who claimed he was the one being threatened, so then he calls me son and says they aren't going to touch him and he off scott free. Is he lying? Do the police really ignore a broken window with that much evidence based on the accused words?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 13

This is what lawyers are for.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 13

I think I'd call the one handling the case and let them know about the phone call to your son.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 13

One thing to consider is that they look at the value of the damage to determine how serious the crime is. In TX it would be considered criminal mischief between $50 and $500, which is a class B misdemeanor (to compare, a traffic ticket is a class C). So it's not a really huge deal to the police, as disruptive as it is to your life, no one was injured and your insurance will cover it, most likely.

Is there any way that you can talk to the boy's parents? That's what I would do, explain what had happened and ask what they're doing about it.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 13

One parent, mom won't answer the phone, so probably nothing. It's about $260 to get it fixed, so even if we had comprehensive on the car (we don't) it would be less than the deductible. I think you're right and it's a misdemeanor. I do think the kid has a record though, I wonder if that matters?

Even then, I don't understand, it's still a crime, how can the police ignore it? So can we go over and slash his tires and not be arrested? I'll bet we would!!!!

I guess I have to take him to small claims court. I don't have the money to fix it. The justice system seems to really suck now-a-days, a sign of not enough money for public services. I hope at least karma will get him.

I will follow up with the detective though. Thanks.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 13

Oh gosh, that kid needs to learn his lesson. A BIG lesson.

Don't let this slip away--get a lawyer.

Good luck with this.

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 13

1. don't take the word of the kid.....more than likely he is just trying to make you madder than what you already are.

2. Call the officer that has your case and come right out and ask what they are doing about your case. Being the victim you have the right to know.

3. Also....file more charges on the kid for harassment.......especially if you don't want the kid calling your house talking smack all the time.

4. Yes it would matter if the kid has a record. Is the record for vandalism in the past? If so, he could possibly face probation or depending on age, time in Juvy.

But really my main advice would be to call the officer in charge, and find out whats going on. You may not have a criminal case, but it may be a civil case, which would prob cost more to make the kid pay for the window, than it's worth, but would give the kid a lesson in life.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you so much. I'll call to find out who the detective is assigned and also let them know about the phone call. He won't spend time in juvy, mainly becuase he's about 20, i guess everyone is a 'kid' to me now. So he should behave better since he's technically an adult. I hope the DA or whoever is in charge of this stuff does something to send this 'kid' a message or he'll continue his behavior.

Thanks again.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 13

Depends on a few things....which depends on what state you are in. Basically, here in NC, anyone 16 or older is considered an adult and can be locked up. 15 and younger can be locked up, but it's a different process and we try to divert them from the judicial system rather than lock them up.
For your case, it's not as much the age but rather the circumstances. If your husband actually witnessed the kid break the window, then there is probable cause (no matter who argues with whom). The parents would be liable for the $ amount. If no one actually witnessed it, then it gets harder. Ask for the officer to explain what is going on and what will be done. If it's not making sense, ask for a supervisor. If someone saw the kid creak the window, then it's easy enough to pursue.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #12 of 13

Thanks Dale, has that always been your screen name? My husband did witness it, and we have the rock which the police took to their crime lab. They don't normally lock anyone up here in CA from something this minor, but they do hand it over to a detective. I'll keep calling to find out what the detective is going to do and pursue myself if I have to. I was just wondering if it was so small an offense if they would even press charges or do anything to send this guy a message. I certainly don't want to just
'let it go', it's $290. I'm in CA, so our public service is practically nil with all the budget cuts. And I'm sure the DA or whoever would press charges is taking that into account to save the state money.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 13

Yup, been my screen name since I joined CC...been my first name since I was born....though Im usually referred to by different names at work...non repeatable here and several fine citizens often confuse me with someone who did something to their mother...go figure...and Im always so nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%