Hi From A New Guy!

Decorating By rbbarker Updated 28 Aug 2005 , 5:57am by crimsonhair

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 10:57pm
post #31 of 37

Hi Boyd! Welcome! I am also from Houston. You would get along great with my parents....they are poker people!!! My mom spends every evening playing party poker!!! Your cake looks great!!!!
traci icon_smile.gif

rbbarker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbbarker Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 1:06pm
post #32 of 37

Wow! Thanks for ALL the welcomes and the comments on the pictures. I originally planned to have the layer cake top-to-top, but somewhere along the way I just got too darned excited and plopped the top side up. I didn't realize it until I was icing and noticed that I was getting thin around the crown. Oops! Also thanks for your kind words about The Duke...he's something else!

I'll put up some pictures next week of my last class cake. I'm planning it out now.

I'm sure there will be many more in between, but I'm planning a poker cake for my annual Tournament of Champions in December. I host a tournament every month and I bring all the winners back at the end of the year for a big, formal championship. I do first-class hors d'ouvres (no more meatballs), free drinks, have a waitress, a dealer, and now I'm going to do a themed cake. It's going to be oval with green buttercream felt, a black MMF 'padded' rail around the table, hand-painted white MMF cards, and those little flat/round cake topper candies for chips.

Boyd

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 5:30pm
post #33 of 37

Welcome to the best site on the world wide web! thumbs_up.gif
How are you doing on the "Rose" in class? icon_biggrin.gif or icon_cry.gif

rbbarker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbbarker Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 6:15pm
post #34 of 37

Heh...it's like a number of things I've experienced in class so far...the more I did it the worse it got. I have to really watch technique to get things where I want them. For the rose, I made myself think "small and slow" and things really came back together. I was getting too fast (probably why quality deteriorated with time) and too carried away with the sweep of the squeeze.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 6:23pm
post #35 of 37

I'll put my "instructor's hat" on and say nothing more than - practice, practice, practice. If you have any class questions - give me a shout. I've been instructing for a couple years. icon_smile.gif Your cakes where great! Keep up the good work. OK - hat off now - Again, welcome and enjoy the ride. thumbs_up.gif

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 5:04am
post #36 of 37

Welcome to Cake Central Boyd. Like your name, my dad's middle name was Boyd.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 5:57am
post #37 of 37

Welcome Boyd I am sure you will love it here I am fairly new to this site too and I am addicted already.. Everyone is so freindly and helpful and the galleries are inspiring.. Your cakes look fantastic.. We look forward to seeing lots more from you.. Happy Baking..
Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%