Sequins

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm by Loucinda

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #1 of 15

Hi..guys...anybody know how i can make sequins?? i have a Michael Jackson glove cake to make in a couple of week and don't have a clue right now on how i'm going to make the sequins...any and all ideas are welcome....thanks

14 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 15

Free bump icon_smile.gif

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 15

i found something guys...two options and wanted to share in case anybody else wanted to know...so here goes...

i think i'll give them both a test run and see which i like better
LL
LL

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 15

If you make the gelatin with the disco dust in it - dry it into the sheet form, then get a punch the size you need to make the sequins, punch them out of the sheet - waalaaa - sequins!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

If you make the gelatin with the disco dust in it - dry it into the sheet form, then get a punch the size you need to make the sequins, punch them out of the sheet - waalaaa - sequins!

what is the recipe for that? Just like for the bows? And when do you add disco dust? Where can I find disco dust?

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 15

jlynnw - yes, same recipe. Just pour it out onto a sheet (silpat works great for something like this) Let it dry - then punch away!

Disco dust - you can get it at most online cake stores. I know Diane has it at cake connection dot com (take out the spaces)

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:

jlynnw - yes, same recipe. Just pour it out onto a sheet (silpat works great for something like this) Let it dry - then punch away!

Disco dust - you can get it at most online cake stores. I know Diane has it at cake cnnection dot com (take out the spaces)

Thanks, I will have to order just about every single color! They are so pretty!

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 15

You should see my drawers of dusts here......yep, I think I have about every color - and some I have 2 of because I like them so much! My DH about died when he realized how much each of those little containers cost - he figured I have about $700. worth. icon_eek.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:

You should see my drawers of dusts here......yep, I think I have about every color - and some I have 2 of because I like them so much! My DH about died when he realized how much each of those little containers cost - he figured I have about $700. worth. icon_eek.gif

ha ha ha!! Lou, you're a gal after my own heart! icon_biggrin.gif And here I thought I cornered the market on that stuff! icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 15

BWB - I counted the jars, I have 180 in all. (that is a combo of all of them though - disco, luster, & petal) I will tell my DH that I am not alone! icon_lol.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 15

Seems like you could just airbrush or paint a sheet of rice paper w/ a mix of dust/lemon extract, then cut out with either a hole punch or some other size circle cutter.

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 15

That is an interesting idea too - I have not worked with rice paper, would it dissolve if it gets too wet from the airbrushing? (and you can't use the disco/pixie type dusts in the airbrush) You would have to sprinkle them on after airbrushing, and while it its still wet......work fast.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

BWB - I counted the jars, I have 180 in all. (that is a combo of all of them though - disco, luster, & petal) I will tell my DH that I am not alone! icon_lol.gif

I am heading there too, everyone time I order, My cake supply lady says, how much of these are you going to get, I said all of them, why are you complaining, are'nt you getting the business, and I don't even get a discount.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 15

I guess when I think of sequins, I think more that they're shiny than sparkly. I can't remember Michael's glove specifically, but if it was white I would say you could do a mix of pearl dust/extract or alcohol on the rice paper with an airbrush and you'd get a sheen simular to a real sequin.

If his glove was silver, I know Albert Uster makes a really good silver dust that looks almost like chrome compared to regular Nu-silver luster dust. Same process as above - light airbrush of the dust mixed w/ alcohol or extract. I have both dusts and definitely see a difference. If you know Mike McCary, he uses the AU silver. That's how I learned about it.

Anyway, good luck and post pictures! I know we all want to see the end result!

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 15

If you mixed one of the americolor airbrush "sheen" colors into the gelatin while it is still in liquid form, that would give you the irridescent look of a sequin when the sheet is dry. I keep thinking of the sequins being small flexible plastic discs - and the gelatin would fit that bill perfectly. I have some here that I did for butterflies, and if they had been punched out instead of in the butterfly shape, they would be perfect sequins.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%