Fondant Troubles

Decorating By paulagail Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm by Bluehue

paulagail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulagail Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 3

I live in the south and have used fondant in the past without success. I used Wilton fondant. Maybe that is the problem. It is hard to roll out and rips on the edges and sides. How do I prevent that? How do I get other fondant pieces to stick to the sides and stay? How do you get the powdered sugar dust off the cake with out water or do you? Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. icon_sad.gif

2 replies
calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 3

I use Satin Ice, but then I do alot of cakes. To get pieces to stick just put a little water on the back or piping gel. Just dust the powered sugar off with a paint brush or pastry brush.

After you knead the fondant try and let it "rest' for a few minutes before rolling it out.

HTH

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulagail

Welcome to CC paulagail ...I live in the south and have used fondant in the past without success. I used Wilton fondant. Maybe that is the problem. It is hard to roll out and rips on the edges and sides.
This is caused because you haven't kneeded it enough before rolling.
Keep kneeding until the fondant becomes plyable and soft to the touch.
How do I prevent that?
Do as above - - kneeding it with the ball of your hand. How do I get other fondant pieces to stick to the sides and stay?
I am thinking you mean other fondant pieces sticking to a fondant covered cake - yes?
Some use clear alcohol = Gin/ Vodka....
Some use sugar glue = equal parts of caster sugar and water - bought to a boil - stirring - allow to cool - pur into sterilized jar - .
Using a small decorators paint brush - lightly dab the back of the fondant shape with sugar glue and adhere to where you want it on the cake.

How do you get the powdered sugar dust off the cake with out water or do you?
If your fondant is kneeded well and rolled and then rolled some more - you really don't have to use powdered sugar - but if you do - then lightly brushing with clear alcohol will remove any powdered sugar and will dry clear. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. icon_sad.gif
Don't give up - and just keep kneeding your fondant until plyable - that way you won't get cracking and tearing along the sides.
Patience whilst doing this - and it will all come together for you.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%