Please Save Me From The Depths Of Despair.

Business By MrsNancyB1 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm by Cyndycakes

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 18

*sigh*

I don't know where to begin. I think I'm just looking for support, advice, a listening ear.

Today I found out that it's illegal here (Los Angeles county...not sure about other counties in CA) to rent a restaurant/catering kitchen so that I can at least accept some money for my cakes.

I accepted the fact that I couldn't accept any money by making a cake at home, so I thought my next logical step was to find a kitchen that I could rent. I found one today, I was getting really excited, only to find out that it's no longer allowed. The Los Angeles HD apparently changed the rules a few months ago. A kitchen incubator just doesn't make sense financially due to the cost (they run about $25/hr) and I don't think I could do EVERYTHING from start to finish in only a few hours and still make a little money.

When I spoke to the HD they told me my only option is to start my own business. I know I'm not ready for that yet. I have 2 small children, and I can't devote all the time a business would require. At the same time, I just can't see myself giving away free cakes for the next several years until we maybe open up a business.

I'm just so exasperated. I don't know what to do. I feel very defeated, and it has taken a toll on my mood today. I just feel so helpless, so down.

Thanks for listening.

17 replies
rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 18

Hi Nancy, I'm new here but I just wanted to send hugs your way. That sucks. Hopefully you'll find some way around it. Good luck,

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 18

Sorry to hear that, Do you want to move to Ohio where we have snow for 6 months out of the year? YUCK, I want to go South myself. We can work out of our homes though.

I wanted to add, enjoy those babies, cakes will always be here they won't. I know I raised my children and then helped raise my Grandsons for ten years and time flies with their lives as well as ours.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #4 of 18

Nancy,

That's a shame. I wonder why they won't let you rent time in someone else's kitchen? If the kitchen is licensed, what does it matter? I mean, in IL we have to be individually licensed and take a food safety course, but a commercial kitchen can be licensed to multiple entities.

I'm sorry though. It is so hard to find our dreams so much farther away than we hope for.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 18

It really smarts to hit the brick wall.
It really helps to turn your energies elsewhere.

The cool thing about doing cakes is that you can always do a cake anyhow--it doesn't have to be for money. As opposed to say for example brain surgery--you can't to that without the license & operating room, some assorted nurses etc. not to mention a willing brain.

Cakes, an oven & a turntable (or not, Jennifer! icon_smile.gif ) and away you go.

I might have said this here recently but I'll risk repeating myself~~I did a cake, a very cool cake I might add for my son's girlfriend's birthday~~people were saying ooh do you have a business card etc.--and I din have any cards with me 'cause I don't have a business for similar reasons as yours~~I said,

"You can't buy a cake like this--I gotta love yah."

And another thing is that you can let your creative juices bubble up and overflow--the sky's the limit.

Ices will be in San Diego next year--start planning a display.
Christmas is around the corner get a gingerbread something going.
Halloween this month--make a pumpkin cake with ganache--mmm
Do a decorative bread display for Thanksgiving.

I'll tell yah what I got planned for my gingerbread this year--mind you I don't always get them actually made--but I do plan something. Keeping that part of your brain occupied with some project really helps --really.

So I'm planning on doing the Ponte Rialto (bridge) that's over the Grand Canal in Venice with a Baby Jesus & angel theme.

It really helps to keep planning stuff--believe me.

It'll be ok. It might not ever be a business but it'll be ok.

Maybe you could find a part time bakery gig--work it into some decorating.

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 18

K8memphis

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you could find a part time bakery gig--work it into some decorating.

This was the exact advice I was going to give. I am from CA as well and I understand this same frustration but I have 2 small kids right now but I cant wait till my 2 year old starts preschool. I will be out knocking on doors just to get the experience. Work for someone else and let them stress out about the bills and all the stress that come with it. icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #7 of 18

That's awful, MrsNancyB. I hope you find a way to keep doing what you love and making your beautiful cakes.

K8Memphis, I love your perspective! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Quote:

You can't buy a cake like this--I gotta love yah."

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #8 of 18

Its only going to get worse as government growws bigger n bigger. Its assanine.
Having said that..I agree with the earlier poster who said enjoy your babies. Bake for the family and yourself and you only get better and better. The kids grow up way too fast. I can understand disappointment......but count your blessings. Be happy

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #9 of 18

Your post caught my eye, and first I was like this really sucks because Im from LA county, and I had recently been thinking of renting a kitchen. Then I happened to glance at your location and realized you are about ten miles away...I live over in Canyon Country. Im in sort of the same boat, I love love cakes, but Im a full time student and work a lot and dont have the financial means or time to start a business. For now my cakes are free, well the labor, Im a student I couldnt afford to make a DH cake let alone scratch. But it kills me there is really only two cake places out here. Well best of luck to you...

annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #10 of 18

Hello my fellow Californians!! I'm from Orange County. Unfortunately the law is for the whole state not just LA County. icon_sad.gif Have you ever thought of going to churches and see if you could rent their ovens. A friend of mine rents a pizza oven in the morning to bake her cakes and cookies. Just a thought. icon_smile.gif

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:05am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by annegirlca

Hello my fellow Californians!! I'm from Orange County. Unfortunately the law is for the whole state not just LA County. icon_sad.gif Have you ever thought of going to churches and see if you could rent their ovens. A friend of mine rents a pizza oven in the morning to bake her cakes and cookies. Just a thought. icon_smile.gif

It's my understanding that its not just about the baking. I dont think it is legal to bake your cakes one place and finish them at another, but I could be wrong.

annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 18

I hear different things about that. My friend who bakes in a pizza kitchen has her business license and says it is legal to bake in a "legal" kitchen and decorate somewhere else. I'm still investigating that. icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 18

Sorry to hear that - you must be very disappointed. icon_sad.gif
What about making dummy cakes only, just for a few years? There seems to be a market for these - you could make them to order, or rent them out..?

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 18

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so down. icon_sad.gif I send out my biggest hugs to you and wrap you in all sorts of CC love and comfort. That being said, don't forget to keep your creative juices flowing just like K8 said. Don't let crappy gov't rules bring down the creative light inside you. Work within the boundaries you have now, and if you really feel strongly about this issue, band together with some other would-be home or renter bakers and see what you can do to petition a change.

By the way K8, that bridge sounds fantastic!!

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 18

OK K8, I just googled that bridge and I'm going to insist on pictures if you actually make it. Holy cow!! icon_smile.gif Sorry to derail, just had to OMG. icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks for the replies!

It was a rough night for me. I actually lost a lot of sleep over this issue. I just can't believe my luck. I finally find a kitchen, and start going through the next steps in my mind, only to find out it's also illegal. icon_sad.gif

Anyways, I have a lot of upcoming cakes. I have my daughter's birthday cake for Saturday, then a Halloween cake, then my son wants a frog cake, then I'm making a cake for my son's preschool, then a mini cake for my mom, then a friend wants a Christmas cake for her housewarming, then my husband's birthday cake....really the list goes on. I have enough to keep me busy from now until July. I guess that will get me through the disappointment.

Cake Dummies! Now that's a great idea. I may have to look into that. I would need to learn more about who would be interested in them and who I could sell them to.

Again, thanks for the hugs and support. I knew my fellow CCers would understand the magnitude of my disappointment.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 18

I think the cake dummy idea is brilliant for your situation. Contact some wedding planners and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice!

Cyndycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndycakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 18

Is it possible to tell people, "I can't charge you, but if you wish to make a donation to defray the cost, it's welcomed". Does that fall in the legal category?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%