Home Made Powdered Sugar

Decorating By Humblecake09 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 1:20pm by rharris524

Humblecake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Humblecake09 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know how to HOME MAKE powdered sugar?

We have a corn allergy in our family. Powdered sugar generally has corn starch in it.
Trader Joe's carries a wheat starch one during the holidays, but I am not made of $$$ so I can't purchase 60 dozen bags to last me the whole year.

What I have tried is-I have tossed the granulated sugar into the food processor and buzzed it for a while (20-30 minutes) and it does break it up, but not to the consistently of actual powdered sugar. It is still a little gritty and that comes through in frosting/icing.

I had the idea to melt the sugar, cool it and then put the chucked sugar into the food processor. I saw someone do something similar on Food Networkbut I am not going to pretend to know everything about this.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I know it is extra work, but my family is worth it.

10 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 11

why not use a meringue type icing (like italian or swiss) that uses granulated sugar

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 11

Welcome to CC BlueRibbon
did you try a martor, I use mine for lots of things and it does sugar but that is a lot of work, I do it for cookies but for icing it is a lot of work. I have a small one maybe a larger one would be better for you. I also do salt lots of ideas for salt HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

why not use a meringue type icing (like italian or swiss) that uses granulated sugar

This is what I would do....and then buy the stuff from Trader Joes for once in awhile.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 11

try a spice or coffee grinder. i have actually done this and it worked. now the downside is, is that any spice grinder or coffee grinder i have seen are mainly used for home use and only can grind small amounts.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 11

Meringues.

Humblecake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Humblecake09 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 11

I have been making the Italian meringue and I like it a lot, but I don't have a lot of experience with it. I want to color it for decorating and use it in a piping bag...but I haven't tried this yet.

Corn and tree nuts are in so many things...I know I am not the only one struggling with this.

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 11

well, imbc will take color, how dark you can get it i really don't know. Are you able to use food coloring like wiltons??? If not you may want to check into some powdered colors I do know that crystal colors claim to have no fillers. As far as what they are made of i'm sure if you contacted the company directly you could probably get an answer, they are made in indiana i think. heres their web site www.sugarpaste.com

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #9 of 11

This thread has a lot of nice examples of IMBC-piped cakes. You can definitely pipe with it! The only thing to remember is that you cannot get deep, dark colors. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-404613.html

For chocolates, you can always stick to whipped ganache. All it is is cream+chocolate; you can use anything from milk chocolate to super dark. I actually prefer ganache over chocolate bc anyway icon_wink.gif (although chocolate IMBC is delicious too!)

Also maybe you can find the PS online. Here's one on amazon, although it's not currently in stock http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LVNJU6/?tag=cakecentral-20. Perhaps your local natural food store might carry something? Also I was poking around online and read an article here that suggested a blender might work where a fp fails http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/making-powdered-sugar-from-granulated-sugar/

Good luck with your quest!

Dileia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 11

I know that my grocery store will take special orders. Maybe you could ask them to order you some of this special sugar every so often? That way you don't have to buy it all at once.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%