What's Fastest Way To Dry Fondant?

Decorating By Delynn Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 5:58am by CakesUnleashed

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 4

Movie reels cake for my grandma - due Sunday morning - 7 tiers. What's the fastest way to dry my fondant movie reels or is it too late to make them?

I plan to stack it like this: a fondant reel, 1/2" thick foam board under the cake, icing on top of the cake, circle of wax paper maybe(?), a fondant reel.... tier #2; same. The cakes are round and 2" high: 14", 12", 10", 10", 8", 6", 6". I'm also trying to keep the expense low so I don't know if mixing 50/50 gumpaste&fondant is cheaper than adding ___? (tylose?) since I don't know how much to add per oz.

I need to know if the reels will sag at the edges, if they're hanging over the cake only an inch at the most, since they'll be near the moist icing???

My backup plan is covering cake circles with silver fancyfoil with 3" diameter circles cut out to look like the holes in the reels.

3 replies
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 4

How about mixing 50/50 fondant & sugarpaste, or just using sugarpaste. Sugarpaste will dry the next day. Hope someone else can give you better advice.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:29am
post #3 of 4

Nope, that's the best advice there is! 50/50 or straight gumpaste. You can also mix tylose or gumtex in to your fondant if you have either (tylose works better) - it basically gives the same results as 50/50. If possible dry the pieces flat on something porous i.e. cardboard, so that a bit of air can circulate thru the board, it will speed drying. Make sure they are somewhere dry and out of the sun. I like the oven, with the light on (but use a stickynote to remind yourself not to turn it on!) but keep the pieces away from the bulb. I've read here that some have had stuff melt from the heat of the bulb! Never been a problem for me but worth the mention.

It's absolutely not too late to make them esp. if you use the techniques mentioned above, esp. GL79's advice.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:58am
post #4 of 4

I swear by tylose powder. It's da bomb!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%