Sparkly Fondant??

Decorating By Storm519 Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm by Rylan

Storm519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Storm519 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I have a wedding cake coming up and the bride wants shimmery/sparkly ivory fondant. I know how to make it ivory but have no idea how I'm going to make it sparkly. Please help, I need ideas badly.

Thank you!!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 7

Pearl dust, luster dust, pearl airbrush paint icon_biggrin.gif

I've used Wilton's luster dust before, and also Americolor's pearl airbrush paint, but I don't have an airbrush so I just painted it on with a paintbrush. The luster dust is easier to use and if you brush it on dry, will make a sparkly, slightly glittery look.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 7

You can buy some luster dust and just brush it onto the fondant after you have applied it. Just make sure that the fondant is completely dry, i.e. no patches of crisco from rolling out or condensation. Luster dust comes in a lot of different colors and you can get them either online or hobby shops may carry them. HTH!

Storm519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Storm519 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 7

thanks, I thought about the luster dust but how do I dust it on evenly? I'm assuming after letting the fondant dry then I take a dry brush and just put it on?

thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate it!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, just dust it on with a big soft brush (maybe a blush brush that's never been used for makeup). Kind of pull on the brush bristles a bit before you use it, so that any that will want to come off will come off then and not on the cake.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

Texas_Rose: when dry dusting pearl dust on fondant using a large blush brush just like you described, I get sometimes areas on the fondant where the dust will not adhere and it looks blotchy. Do you know what could be causing that? I use Michelle Foster's fondant recipe and roll it on my counter using cornstarch.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 7

What I do is that, I dip my brush on the dust and then tap it on a plate to remove the excess--from there I brush it onto the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%