Are Cake Mixes Nut Free??

Decorating By kccliff Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm by LaBellaFlor

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 16

I have a bride that has been driving me crazy. Now she asks me if I can make sure her cake is nut free because she has a flower girl that is allergic. The cake is for this weekend...Oct 10th...I have never made a cake "nut free" before and I don't want to make anyone sick...

15 replies
mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 16

Some are, just read the labels as they must state any allergens. Duncan Hines is, but contains wheat. Pillsbury has soy and what, etc. If reading the labels doesn't help just call the toll free #'s on the boxes.

kccliff Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you..I'm at work right now so I have no way of reading boxes or labels...I think I might just home make it...

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 16

Duncan Hines lists their ingredients on line. Golden butter recipe only listed wheat by itself - no nuts.

Rose-Lynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose-Lynn Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 16

Like mykidsarekillingme said, you'll have to read the labels. My next door neighbors' daughter has a nut allergy; if she eats anything with them in it she swells up like a bullfrog and has to be rushed to the emergency room. Yes, it's happened a couple of times. Anyway, I'm a enhanced box mix baker and I've always used Duncan Hines until her last birthday anyway. She wanted a Strawberry cake with dark chocolate ganache and chocolate dipped strawberries; I got the cake mix out, read the label just to be sure, and low and behold it had changed. I'm always very cautious and make a habit of reading the label everytime I make something she will come in contact with. I'm glad I do because the Duncan Hines ingredients have changed to include possibly may include nuts. I ended up making her strawberry cake from scratch just to be on the safe side.

Rose-Lynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose-Lynn Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 16

Like mykidsarekillingme said, you'll have to read the labels. My next door neighbors' daughter has a nut allergy; if she eats anything with them in it she swells up like a bullfrog and has to be rushed to the emergency room. Yes, it's happened a couple of times. Anyway, I'm a enhanced box mix baker and I've always used Duncan Hines until her last birthday anyway. She wanted a Strawberry cake with dark chocolate ganache and chocolate dipped strawberries; I got the cake mix out, read the label just to be sure, and low and behold it had changed. I'm always very cautious and make a habit of reading the label everytime I make something she will come in contact with. I'm glad I do because the Duncan Hines ingredients have changed to include possibly may include nuts. I ended up making her strawberry cake from scratch just to be on the safe side.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 16

hi girls, ive checked with my friend and her daughter has a nut allergy, its not enough for it NOT to be in the ingredients, it must be made in a NUT FREE facility to be concidered nut free

hth

g

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 16

Hi KCC-

Try cherrybrook cake mix. It is nut free. or just make the cake from scratch.

My nephew is severly allergic to nuts he keeps an epi pen with him at all times. He is in junior high school.

I know my sister used cherrybrook cake mix and he has not had a reaction so far.

If someone is severly allergic to nuts or allergies. I make the cakes from scratch.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 16

I think Duncan Hines is safe to use, but definitely read the label or call their 800 number to be sure.

Just wondering why on earth she waited until the week before the wedding to tell you icon_confused.gif

kccliff Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 16

Lord only knows why she waited this long! She's only 21 and really excited in the big day...but not that swift in her planning..LOL

Thank you everyone for your replies..I'll read the labels when I ghet home..

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 16

I think you need to let her know this is something that can not be done. Nut free can very hard to accomplish. I would let her know that you do not have a nut free facility, if she had told you at piont of order, not a week away, you could have informed her of this. I have it in my contract. Some people can touch a spot that has been cleaned and still have a reaction. Be careful.

kccliff Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 16

I have told her that I will not guarantee it to be nut free and to not allow her flower girl to eat any. My suggestion was to ask the mother to bring something special for her that day..

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccliff

I have told her that I will not guarantee it to be nut free and to not allow her flower girl to eat any. My suggestion was to ask the mother to bring something special for her that day..

Any mother with a child that has life threatening allergies brings something for their child. They don't leave it up to others to keep their child safe.

My sister and neighbors go through this, they are used to having to bring a cupcake or other treat to parties for their kids to enjoy.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 16

I make about 2 dozen cupcakes every few months for two customers who sons have a severe nut allergy.

After making about a million phone calls to all different companies, I have nut free cupcakes.

I use Pillsbury mix and even doctor it up. I make a version of Buttercream Dream and use vanilla, butter and princess flavor.

Was very worried the first time, but was reassured by all the companies that they legally have to list the allergens and if they are produced in a plant that also produces products with those allergens.

Good luck!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 16

I have learned over the past year that the items you provide from home are not considered "nut free" if you did not put nuts into the product. If you make your own child a peanut butter sandwich on the same countertops it can be enough for some people with the allergy to have a reaction, even if you have cleaned the countertops...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccliff

I think that would be the safest way to go. And like someone else mentioned, that is what parents tend to do when the have a child with a food allergy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%