Baby Bootie Topper Question...

Decorating By LAHomespun Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 4:23am by LAHomespun

LAHomespun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAHomespun Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 10

I am wanting to make some baby booties on a baby shower cake this week and I wanted to know what would be the best medium I should use to make them. Should I use fondant or gum paste? I have a good fondant recipe and have used it many times, but gum paste is new to me. I tried one of the recipes on here, but it came out too dry to work with so I may have to find another recipe or give the recipe another try. Any comments are most welcome! icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Lee Anne

9 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 10

I used gumpaste for mine (in my photos), I prefer Wilton since it dries really well, but I only had Bakels on hand so I added some tylose to that. You can also use Michelle Foster's Fondant and add tylose powder to the fondant.

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 10

The very first time I did them I used fondant. It does work. However, gum paste works much better. That's what I now use. Good luck!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 10

I made some with a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mixture. I had sufficient work time, and they dried stiff enough to hold their shape well.

joannie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joannie1 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 10

tonedna1 has a video on youtube she show how to make gumpaste is really good

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 10

I prefer the 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mixture. It does dry well but not so quickly or so slowly that you cannot work with it (and the baby booties do require some fussing to get them just so.) icon_biggrin.gif

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 10

I used all gumpaste for mine but I had a few cracks. Next time I'll add some fondant to it!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with bobwonderbuns. I always use the 50/50 gumpaste/fondant ratio. I use Wilton pre-made gumpaste and fondant and puchase with my coupons for Michael's. I don't do that many cakes and I am not going to mess with making this stuff. I like that you are able to work with it and it doesn't dry out real quickly. I also find that when dry it is a little stronger than just gumpaste.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I agree with bobwonderbuns. I always use the 50/50 gumpaste/fondant ratio. I use Wilton pre-made gumpaste and fondant and puchase with my coupons for Michael's. I don't do that many cakes and I am not going to mess with making this stuff. I like that you are able to work with it and it doesn't dry out real quickly. I also find that when dry it is a little stronger than just gumpaste.

icon_biggrin.gif I just love it when she agrees with me! icon_lol.gif

LAHomespun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAHomespun Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:23am
post #10 of 10

Fabulous, Ladies!! Thanks so much for your help!! I'll post a pic when I get it all done. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%