40Th Birthday

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 2:52am by letsgetcaking

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a cake for my BIL's 40th birthday. My sis wants it to represent him always talking about 'knocking on 40's door." So she wants a doorway on top with a figure of him bursting through the door, to a cliff on the other side. I'm doing a 2 tier cake so I can make one side of the door a drop-off, but I can' figure out how to do the doorway. I want to make it big, so it will delineate the cake (all green and flowers on one side, all dark and gloomy on the other), and I want to incorporate a "40" somehow. Any ideas for how I could do that? I'm planning to make it from gumpaste. TIA!

1 reply
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 2

I've never used gumpaste so I don't know how much of it you can use and still have it dry and be sturdy. But, here's an idea:

Maybe you could roll out a large rectangular sheet of gumpaste that would be at least the height of the cake plus the doorway in one direction, and at least as wide as the cake in the other. Then you could cut out the shape of the whole cake from the sheet (plus the doorway at the top), then place it vertically on the cake. Then you could paint greenery on one side, and paint the otherside dark and gloomy to match the cake. It would look like a wall or barrier going through the center of the cake. Just an idea. Hopefullly some other CCers will have some ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%