Gingerbread House Book Recommendation

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 12:49am by Rylan

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to make a gingerbread house for decoration/fundraiser for a local museum. I have never made a gingerbread house (except maybe a kit with the kids). I'd like to give it a go, but I think I'd like to purchase an instruction/idea book. Does anyone recommend a book. Again I have NEVER made one...but I think I can handle the decorating part icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 9

My 2 favorites are by Teresa Layman:

Gingerbread for all Seasons
Gingerbread: Things to make and bake

She includes wonderful pictures, full directions and pattern pieces!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 9

Check out sweetopia.net, she has some recommended books. Also check the tutorial thread I posted (check my signature), there is a gingerbread link in there that has tons of information and inspiration.

springlakecake Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 9

awesome, thank you both!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 9

I have several, but my absolute favorite book is Steven Stellingwerf's, The Gingerbread Book. It is out of print, but you can usually find a copy on amazon.com, or ebay... I did a gingerbread carousel (in my photos) from his book, and his directions are wonderful~! hth

springlakecake Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 9

your carousel is great! thanks for the suggestion. I am going to go check out some books.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 9

I love Steven Stellingwerf's book "the gingerbread book." It's absolutely fabulous! Also there was a place called Frankie's Attic but it has a new name now and it's everything you ever wanted to know about gingerbread. Check google for an updated link.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 9

[/i]You are welcome merissa... good luck with your gingerbread house~!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I love Steven Stellingwerf's book "the gingerbread book." It's absolutely fabulous! Also there was a place called Frankie's Attic but it has a new name now and it's everything you ever wanted to know about gingerbread. Check google for an updated link.

If you need the link, it is the same gingerbread house link in the tutorial thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%