How Do You Ask For Testimonials/feedback?

Business By SliceCakeStudio Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 10:35pm by SliceCakeStudio

SliceCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceCakeStudio Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 12

I'm wondering - what method do you all use to get a testimonial or solicit feedback after the event?

I've only ever heard from one bride that sent me a thank you note afterward. I've done probably 20 wedding cakes in 10 years - just here and there, but I've really never asked for them to provide feedback.

Any advice/suggestions would be great!

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:04am
post #2 of 12

I don't. My theory is no news is good news. If there is a problem you will definetly hear about it.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 12

I was wondering the same thing...... I am on Wedding Wire and I got an email the other day giving me the opportunity for brides to leave reviews (even if they were non-wedding wire clients) and I was wondering how I solicit these reviews...... maybe an email asking them to post it? An offer (*ahem*) of a free 6" anniversary cake?

SliceCakeStudio Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 12

I think testimonials go a long way for helping brides make decisions - as far as reputable bakers go. (??) Just my opinion. I saw someone that had it in her Client Form. At the end there was a check box for "Sent postcard to bride for follow-up" or something of that nature. I guess I agree no news is good news, but does that mean my work was good enough for them to tell a friend? That's what I want to know! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 12

Wedding Wire has a form where you can fill in up to 5 emails and they send the email to the 5 customers, with a link where they can leave feedback. If they give reviews to 5 vendors, they get some kind of gift card. It costs me nothing to be listed on wedding wire. As with any advertising, be careful if you're operating unlicensed.

If you "pay" someone (money, with a cake, etc.) my SIL, who works in marketing and advertising, tells me it must be disclosed that the testimonial was compensated.

But I agree with the 'no news is good news'.

SliceCakeStudio Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 12

Good to know! I'll keep that in my advertising file for future reference! Thanks~

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 12

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10367464-93.html

Happened across the above article that states the FTC is going to crack down on paid or "freebies" for endorsements. THe articles seems to imply they are looking at celebrities and they conceed it would be hard to police, but I wanted to share an "official" source that reinforces my above post about giving a free cake for a testimonial, rather than leave it at "debi knows someone who knows someone" type of thing.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 12

I used to write and make sure the customer was happy but I gave that up for the most part...I figure yeah, if I don't hear back, everything's okay.

After all, I rarely write a company when I am pleased with a purchase...I just don't complain! (I have a few times written though, if I'm pleased with customer service....)

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 12

A link to another article about the FTC's new rules which go into effect on 12/1 from FindLaw as indydebi indicated previously.
http://news.lp.findlaw.com/ap/ht/1700/10-05-2009/20091005073507_09.html

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri1975

what method do you all use to get a testimonial or solicit feedback after the event?

Absolutely nothing. That's completely their responsibility to do or not. I like knowing that the great reviews I get are 100% unsolicited. IDk, makes me feel good.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 12

glad to hear the consensus it not to solicit the feedback. speaking of wedding wire, i was at a wedding merchant business academy in las vegas 2 weeks ago, and the 2 guys that founded wedding wire were there, speaking and had a booth set up with martha stewart weddings. pretty good info. nice guys.

SliceCakeStudio Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 12

thanks Everyone! I guess since I've never heard anything I should consider it a good thing. icon_smile.gif

Ever notice how many people have testimonials on their websites?? That's what got me thinking!

Happy Baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%