Doug Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #1 of 20

see these three videos >> Onslaught, Evolution, and Amy

http://www.dove.us/?dl=/features/videos/default.aspx|cp-documentid=7049560

19 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #2 of 20

not kidding -- you and your daughters need to see these!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 20

That was beautiful. Thanks Doug

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 20

Wow! Powerful stuff! Thanks for posting, Doug. Now sending the link on to all my friends with daughters.

Doug Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #5 of 20

these are so good, I'll be using the Evolution one when I teach the make-up unit in my theatre classes!

And we wonder why bulimia and anorexia and all the other self-esteem related issues are such a problem

(tho' does any one catch the irony of Dove, a "beauty bar" of soap criticizing the beauty industry?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #6 of 20

Isn't that the sad and awful truth. Thanks Doug!

Doug Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:20am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Isn't that the sad and awful truth. Thanks Doug!

yes, all too sad -- such a monumental LIE

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #8 of 20

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

(tho' does any one catch the irony of Dove, a "beauty bar" of soap criticizing the beauty industry?

Actually, I think it is excellent that they do. If not them (within the industry itself) then who? I have appreciated their position and efforts for years. They are not saying there is no such thing as beauty, but rather that beauty is not what our society says it is. They are teaching an appreciation for the beauty of "real" girls and women. Those real girls and women still need soap, LOL!

I used to think there was a dichotomy - either people are wrapped up in their appearance (and are vain and insecure, etc.), or they don't care at all about their appearance. In actuality, I think a healthy middle ground is the best place for a woman to be (and men too) - caring about their appearance and working to be a good steward of all parts of their bodies, but not having their self esteem and identity and security wrapped up in their outward appearance.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 20

Thanks for posting this Doug. It's definitely something we should pass along. thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:16am
post #10 of 20

I happened to catch the end of the Ellen Degeneres show one day this past week. A group of models were the guests, discussing a photo shoot they had done for Glamour magazine. All of the ladies were gorgeous and slim and tall. And every single one was considered to be a PLUS SIZE model. Because now anything above a size 6 is considered plus size.

Has the fashion industry lost its mind? A size 1 or 2 is considered straight size, whatever that means. I'd be frightened to death for my child if I had a girl. Every one of those models admitted to having had some sort of eating disorder in order to fit into the industry's ideal size and shape of the perfect girl.

Those Dove films are very illustrative of what is out there affecting our girls. Thanks Doug for posting this.

Doug Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:44am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiev777

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Actually, I think it is excellent that they do. If not them (within the industry itself) then who? I have appreciated their position and efforts for years. They are not saying there is no such thing as beauty, but rather that beauty is not what our society says it is. They are teaching an appreciation for the beauty of "real" girls and women. Those real girls and women still need soap, LOL!

I used to think there was a dichotomy - either people are wrapped up in their appearance (and are vain and insecure, etc.), or they don't care at all about their appearance. In actuality, I think a healthy middle ground is the best place for a woman to be (and men too) - caring about their appearance and working to be a good steward of all parts of their bodies, but not having their self esteem and identity and security wrapped up in their outward appearance.

yes, sort of like the tv show Ugly Betty -- shows how the real beauty is the one the industry calls ugly and all those beauties are the real uglies.

and my reaction was based on concept -- if real beauty is from within, then I don't need any special soap (beauty bar) or shampoo or...... Just any old soap, etc. that gets me clean, doesn't make me itch or breakout, and is inexpensive should be good enough. (besides I never did understand how putting lotion in the soap was really going to work since wouldn't it just rinse off as you shower? -- full disclosure -- I HATE using lotions -- ewwww greasy oily ick -- I prefer ZESTfully clean (boo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I happened to catch the end of the Ellen Degeneres show one day this past week. A group of models were the guests, discussing a photo shoot they had done for Glamour magazine. All of the ladies were gorgeous and slim and tall. And every single one was considered to be a PLUS SIZE model. Because now anything above a size 6 is considered plus size.

Has the fashion industry lost its mind? A size 1 or 2 is considered straight size, whatever that means. I'd be frightened to death for my child if I had a girl. Every one of those models admitted to having had some sort of eating disorder in order to fit into the industry's ideal size and shape of the perfect girl.

Those Dove films are very illustrative of what is out there affecting our girls. Thanks Doug for posting this.

speaking as a man -- oh so true for men too ---
take a close look at the models in the ads -- rarely larger than a size 28 waist and 34 chest == aka SMALL size. just saw an add for "men's jeans" as opposed to teen/youth and the model looked to be as thin as a 12 or 13 year old boy. Hmmm... goes right in line with who "men" who sing like prepubescent boys are idolized (JT, J Blunt, etc who all sing in an high boylike falsetto) as opposed to singing in a true man's range -- Idealizing sexy as being 14-16 and after that OVER THE HILL

somewhere our whole definition of beauty took a pedophilic turn to idealizing the body shape of the early adolescent (14-16) for women and men.

----

keep spreading these on, we need the wake-up call!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:56am
post #12 of 20

thanks for posting- I'm passing it on...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks for posting this. I'll be showing it to all my girls as well as my boys.

I think pretty much everyone has felt like they didn't measure up in some way look wise. Sad really. Everyone is beautiful in their own way. Why should we let the industry tell us otherwise.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 20

I saw this yesterday on FB. I showed it to one of my girls and still have to show my oldest one. It's a great tool!

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:24pm
post #15 of 20

Sadly enough...this stuff affects men also. A insanely large portion of our population believes that the women in the first ad are the only "beautiful" women in the world.

My view? A woman who can leave the house in sweats and a tshirt with her hair in a clumsy ponytail and not an ounce of makeup...and still believe shes beautiful....thats my kind of woman.

External beauty fades...does internal beauty fade? Not so much

(however, I wont lie...I dont mind the ads...I am a guy after all!!)

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #16 of 20

these are amazing. thank you doug.

i'm texting the links to my young nieces. it's difficult for them (they're actually semi-step-sisters icon_confused.gif .... my brother's daughter and his gf's daughter) one's very slender and petite and the other is a little curvier, more filled out (but NOT chubby or even close to... just bigger compared to the other, smaller niece). and i know they are constantly comparing themselves to one another. the more filled out one compares herself to her slender, petite counter part. the smaller one compares herself to the more mature looking counterpart. both the same age, but severely different body types.

it's so hard for young girls today. it's awful.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:55am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

Sadly enough...this stuff affects men also. A insanely large portion of our population believes that the women in the first ad are the only "beautiful" women in the world.

My view? A woman who can leave the house in sweats and a tshirt with her hair in a clumsy ponytail and not an ounce of makeup...and still believe shes beautiful....thats my kind of woman.

External beauty fades...does internal beauty fade? Not so much

(however, I wont lie...I dont mind the ads...I am a guy after all!!)

Ye-up! The SEXIEST thing ANY woman can wear is CONFIDENCE in HERSELF!!! Oh-yeah!

Sugar21cube Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar21cube Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #18 of 20

im so glad i never fell victim to societies standards of whats pretty and whats not, im going to try my best to make sure my daughter doesnt either. the only makeup i wear is a little eyeliner, i never cared for make up and im glad i didnt, i save a lot of money. and fashion magazines make me sick, my mother in law gets them, i browse through them and i jokingly tell my husband i need to see what the world wants me to wear this month.

i tell my husband every time we go to the mall im going age gracefully im not going to spent hundreds of dollars trying to make my skin look younger, you cant beat the aging affect, but i kinda find it funny and sad that so many think they can. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

Hubby says all the guys he knows, when asked if they preferred Ginger or MaryAnn, they picked MaryAnn. And when asked if they preferred Bailey or Jennifer, Bailey won hands down. The girl next door. So maybe most men aren't as shallow as you think. thumbs_up.gif (not any more shallow than us gals who always check out the muscley chests and the tight butts and the ..... wait a second, I gotta find a cigarette! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif )

We were married in '88. In '91 I won a "Mrs." beauty pageant, so hubby could honestly say he was married to "a beauty queen". He said to me one day that it was odd that he was attracted to me because "I always did like a little ugly in my women." I gave him "the wife" look and said, "And so you married ME." His face gets red and he says, "you know .... I'm betting this is one of those things that I'm gonna pay for the rest of my life, aren't I?" icon_redface.gif

Since I DON'T look like a beauty queen anymore (that was about 75 lbs ago!), I will tell my daughter, who is self-conscious about her weight, "We may be fat but we are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #20 of 20

Thanks for posting this Doug. I really do appreciate it. I have two daughters, ages 5 and 7 (see avatar). My 7 year old is nearly 5 ft. tall and weighs 105. She is by far the tallest and curviest in her class, but it has not affected her at all. I hope it never does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%