Serving Guide Sculpted Cakes?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 1:07am by TexasSugar

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 11

If there's a previous post, I cannot find it.

Does anyone know how to cut a sculpted cake or how to figure out how many servings you will end up with?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
kellertur Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 11

in the whiniest voice ever...

"PLEEEEAAASSSE?????" and thank you.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 11

I'm probably no help....I just guess as to servings and try to be somewhat generous. If they ask for 25 servings, I bake enough for 30-40 (depending on what cake pan I'm using, just round up a good amount).

As to cutting guides...haha...I figure if they want a weird shaped cake, they can figure out how to cut it! icon_twisted.gif

No really...haha....if I do have boards and supports inside I'll explain where they are and how to cut it in layers, but for the most part, if they don't ask, I just let them figure it out. There's really no easy way to cut and serve a crazy shaped 3D cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

As to cutting guides...haha...I figure if they want a weird shaped cake, they can figure out how to cut it! :twisted

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I luv it! You are a classic! icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

As to cutting guides...haha...I figure if they want a weird shaped cake, they can figure out how to cut it! :twisted

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I luv it! You are a classic! icon_lol.gif

Haha....I have had customers ask how to cut a cake (like a 3D dog or some other odd thing) and I will laugh and just say "Hey, that's your problem...I just MAKE them!" Of course I smile and assure them I'm just giving them a hard time and I at least try to explain how to cut it. Sort of. Some of them are hard. Like...pretend its an animal cracker and bite off the head? *shrugs*

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 11

I made the molded pan 3-D duck cake once for a friend. She asked how to cut it. I said, "I'd whack the head off, then split it right down the middle, then cut each half in slices." She said at the shower they were actually fighting over who got to whack the head off of the duck! icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:56am
post #7 of 11

hahaha..... I could see that becoming some kind of weird family tradition!

kellertur Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #8 of 11

thanks ~ and I'm also of the school of "let them figure it out"... heh heh icon_twisted.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:50am
post #9 of 11

Hi, 95% of the cakes I make are sculptured. What you need to do is work out how many slices you would get from the cake tin before you shape it and work out what percentage of it you have removed. I you shape it and put it back on to the cake, then you need to allow for this also.

I hope this makes sense but you would be surprised how many people these types of cakes do feed.

Good luck,

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:38am
post #10 of 11

I've wondered too & I think my biggest dilema would be how much to start off with. but I do like your tip Makeitmemorable

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:07am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I made the molded pan 3-D duck cake once for a friend. She asked how to cut it. I said, "I'd whack the head off, then split it right down the middle, then cut each half in slices." She said at the shower they were actually fighting over who got to whack the head off of the duck! icon_lol.gif

I do the lamb cake every Easter. The head and butt are the first things to go. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%