Cookie Cake-- I Don't Know What Else To Call It-- Have ???'s

Baking By makeminepink Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm by luv2bake6

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 34

Do any of you do "cookie cakes" or the large cookies like the ones from the shops in the mall? How much do you charge? How detailed do you get? Do you just try and do them like the ones from Great American Cookie Co. (for example) -- usually white and choc. -- just big basic decorations? Do you use a special cookie recipe? Do you have any tips? Thanks--Kim

33 replies
Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 34

I make the giant 12inch Birthday Cookie. I have one due Sunday that is Chocolate chip. I have my recipes for that size, but if U have any cookie recipe I imagine that would work as long as it would yield at least 2 dozen cookies. I like for mine to have a little height as well as diameter to them. The one Iam doing Sunday will have an edible image of the Birthday boy in his youth and chocolate frosting piped on. You can use cut outs or whatever U like just the same as decorating a cake. My 12inch is $35.00 plus $10.00 xtra for the edible image. Other wise the decorations are included in the price. Unless they want something elaborate and over the top.
HTH

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 34

Thank you for the response!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 34

Sweet treats, I'm assuming you use the same temp to bake them (correct me if I'm wrong) but how long are they in the oven?

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 34

sweet treats, do you add anything to a standard chocolate chip recipe in order to acheive the height you're talking about?
Do you bake them in a pizza pan?
What do you use to put them on for delivery? A cake circle? Do you deliver in cake boxes?

Sorry so many questions. This seems like such a good idea to make for friends and family when i'm in a pinch for time and can't RI cookies.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 34

I put them in pizza boxes. They're just the right size.

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 34

So you bake them in 12 inch pizza pans and slide them into the box as is or do you use a cake circle underneath?
Are the boxes clear white or do they have pizza designs on them? Do you decorate the box?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 34

I bake them in big round pans (I think pizza pans are too shallow), slide them onto cake circles, and place in white, corrugated pizza boxes that I bought from either Papermart or Nashville Wraps. And I usually wrap the box in curling ribbon.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 34

When I make a giant cookie, I use the regular toll house recipe...I always use real butter with it and it makes a difference in the texture. I bake it at 350 instead of 375, in a pan lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick spray. You can use a cake pan for it. The foil makes it easy to lift the cookie out when it's done...let cool all the way first so it hardens up.

I've never sold one...but they're easy to make and cheaper than cake, ingredient-wise, so it's not a bad idea at all.

Here's one of mine: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1208467

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 34

That looks very yummy! How would you transport that?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 34

I just put it on a cake board and then set it in a cardboard tray (the kind that bottled water comes in) with waxed paper taped over the top. The pizza box would have been a better idea but none of the pizza places around here would sell me one (those party poopers!). A cake box would probably have worked too but I didn't think of it at the time icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 34

I know that papermart sells blank pizza boxes but they are pricey.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 34

I do several cookie cakes, but I like to make mine look like cakes. My Wall-E cake is a cookie cake as is my Darth Vadar, Spiderman, and yellow flower in my picture gallery. I bake them in cake pans. I even cut them into shapes(better when cookie is still warm (I use pre made templates I create ahead of time). I charge more for cookie cakes than cakes(the ingredients cost more, chocolate chips, vanilla, butter, etc.). I frost with buttercream (and even cover in fondant like a cake). Sky is the limit.

Average price per person is $3.50. So depending on number of servings. They go over better with kids. I used to have lots of cake left at kids parties(minus frosting), but my cookie cakes are almost always gone!

I bake mine on 325 and watch them. Barely let them brown(cookies set up more when they cool). They are great have fun!

Trish

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #14 of 34

Question: If i were to bake the cookie in a 12x9x2 rectangular pan, does anyone know where i can get a nice sturdy box to fit it in?

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Sweet treats, I'm assuming you use the same temp to bake them (correct me if I'm wrong) but how long are they in the oven?

I bake at 375 for about 20 to 24 minutes

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:35am
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

sweet treats, do you add anything to a standard chocolate chip recipe in order to acheive the height you're talking about?
Do you bake them in a pizza pan?
What do you use to put them on for delivery? A cake circle? Do you deliver in cake boxes?

Sorry so many questions. This seems like such a good idea to make for friends and family when i'm in a pinch for time and can't RI cookies.

I add 1/2 tsp. baking soda and I pile the batter into a 20inch pizza stone or pizza pan. My husband cuts rounds from corrugated plastic for me. I use a specialty box supplier, and U can gat various sizes and styles. The prices range anywhere from .50 on up depending on the style and size. U have to order in quantities of 100, but U can use a cake box if ithe cookie will fit.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Question: If i were to bake the cookie in a 12x9x2 rectangular pan, does anyone know where i can get a nice sturdy box to fit it in?

Try usbox.com

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #18 of 34

I get the 12" by 12" boxes mine are also too thick for a pizza box my icing was always getting smashed. I use all my 2" deep pans. I use the 1/2 sheet pan and use the boards and boxes for that . The half sheet takes 2 cookie recipes ( I use the toll house recipe) bake at 325 for 20-30 min and yes they are thick people love them.

I use my round cake pans, my heart shaped pans and so on. Works like a charm, I grease the pan good with pan release and remove from the pan within 10 min so the chips don't stick to the pan. Enjoy, I do chocolate chips and people like when I do the sugar cookie . What I use is the funfetti cake mix and do the cookie recipe on side of the box.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:29am
post #19 of 34

I would go to Michaels, a Party Store, or preferribly a cake supply store. Most sheet cake boxes should work.

Someone else posted that cookie cakes were cheaper, not in my expereience. Chocolate chips and the amount I use for large sheet sized cakes are expensive. Then if you get more glamorous than chocolate chip and add white choc, tree nuts, toffees, etc. These ingredients are expensive. I equate that to more expensive fillings and increase the price per serving up accordingly.

Happy cookieing-is that a word icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #20 of 34

I love cookie cakes! I used to make them all the time for myself. LOL. If I wasn't so busy, I'd make one this week. =o)

luv2bake6 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #21 of 34

thank you all for your recommendations and advice. I am going to try out some different recipes and see how they work.

luv2bake6 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #22 of 34

Just tried out my first one. I made up my usual batch of chocolate chip cookies and put half of it into a 12-inch pizza pan. While baking, it puffed up nicely but ran down the sides (it was a flat pizza pan) onto the oven floor. When i took it out after it was baked, it sunk down to a cookie thickness.
Needless to say, while the idea didn't work too well, it tasted so good that my kids all dove in with their hands and tore up pieces to eat.

The question is the amount of dough going into the pans. How many cups of dough should go into a 12-inch round pan? A 12x9 pan? A 9-inch round? Should i have used a pan with higher sides? (when i see pizza pan described, i'm thinking of the flat one with a slight lip around the edges)

debster Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:27pm
post #23 of 34

I ALWAYS use the 2" pans ANY shape and fill them half full, I cook mine at 325 for like 20-30 min for the double batch usually 15-20 for a single batch and they stay fine. No sinking. You have to take them out like 10 min before they cool too much or the chips will stick even if it's coated, keep trying. I make these WEEKLY people love them .

I meant to add in my photos page two has a rectangle I did with an Indians Image on it and page 6 has a regular round. I've done all shapes from my pans you'll love the cake pans better I think I never use the cookie pans any more they are TOO thins, we like thick cookies. It will feel uncooked when you take it out but after a couple hours it sets up and stays soft, again we like soft and chewy. Good luck.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #24 of 34

I agree w/debster - I use my 2in. cake pans. For a 12in. round I use half a batch of choc chip cookie dough, then spread with my spatula evenly in pan. They're much thincker than the cookie pans, customers love 'em!

debster Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #25 of 34

yellowbutterfly........................wow I'm bad for a 12' round I use a whole batch for the half sheet rectangle I use 2 batches, I use 2 batches for the 16" round cookie too it's a Monster. I make 2- 8" from 1batch just for some ideas for the poster as to how much. 12" heart 1 batch.

yellobutterfly Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #26 of 34

lol, i use 1 batch for an 11x15 and 1 1/2 batches for a 12x18...so mine probably aren't as thick as yours, but they're definitely thicker than the grocery stores and cookie chains, and really popular icon_wink.gif

debster Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #27 of 34

Yeah it's the 11x15 I use 2 batches for , I told you mine like a THICK cookie....hehehehehe Oh well gotta please.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:01pm
post #28 of 34

Do you guys mostly use buttercream or royal icing to decorate?

Thanks for all the tips--can't wait to try one!

yellobutterfly Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #29 of 34

for cookie cakes I only do buttercream

debster Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #30 of 34

Buttercream here also and edible images that's it for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%