Invented New Cookie! Cream Cheese Icing Cookies

Baking By prterrell Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm by prterrell

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 16

Background:

I had to bake approx 20 doz cookies to take to the soup kitchen I am volunteering at tonight. I didn't have enough ingredients on hand to make all one kind of cookie, which is fine, no particular kind of cookie is required.

I made 7 doz drop sugar cookies and 6 doz chocolate chip cookies. I was going to make peanut butter cookies for the remaining 7 doz, but when I opened my jar of peanut butter, I found dead ants in it! I have NO idea how ants got in a sealed (not new, but the lid was screwed on tight) jar of peanut butter! Yuck! Had to throw that out!

Now what? I didn't have time to go to the store. Then I remembered I had 8 cups of cream cheese icing in the freezer left over from a bunch of cakes I'd made for the church bake sale a couple months ago. Myself, I thinks to myself, cream cheese icing is part way to cookies, it has the fat and the sugar in it all ready. All I need to do is add flour, levening, and eggs. So I get out the icing, defrost it, realize that I don't have enough flour on hand to use all of the icing. Put 2 cups of the icing in the fridge to use later this week on cinnamon rolls, throw the other stuff in my KA and voila...Cream Cheese Icing Cookies. icon_biggrin.gif

So, here's the recipe of my new creation!

Cream Cheese Icing Cookies

6 cups cream cheese icing*
3 eggs
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
9 c AP flour

Blend cream cheese icing, eggs, and flavoring.
Sift together dry ingredients and slowly add to the icing mixture.
Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Chill one hour.
Scoop using small scooper (1 tbsp) onto parchment lined baking sheets (12 per sheet).
Moisten fingers and flatten cookies lightly.
Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes.
Move immediately to racks and cool completely.
Ice with glaze of lemon juice and confectioner's sugar.
Top with almond slices before glaze dries.
Makes 7 doz cookies.

*My personal recipe is 2 sticks unsalted butter (1/2 lb), 16 oz cream cheese, 2 lbs confectioners sugar, and 2 tbsp sour cream blended, makes approx 6 cups.

15 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 16

prterrell, you are so smart, sounds great, did you taste them, were they soft or crunchy. Sounds yummy, give details on how they tasted TIA

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 16

icon_smile.gif I am hungry and these sound so GOOD! May I use your recipe?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 16

Sounds yummy! You gotta put these in the recipe section!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 16

Those sound delicious! I know my husband would love them! Thanks for sharing!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 16

yes give us the scoop on the flavor/texture of them.....oh and also if you have any photos.....I'm picturing a beautiful pale cookie that looks like velvet! lol

I saw a recipe recently for sugar cookies that had cream cheese in the batter and I thought "that has to be good"......but cream cheese icing?? You're a baking genius!

prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 16

PS - or you can just dust them w/ PS which is what I ended up doing this time b/c I didn't have time to do the glaze and almonds, which is what I WAS going to do, so I actually don't know how well the glaze would work (but would be pretty) now that I think about it would give it a much stronger lemon flavor, when I try the glaze next time I make these, I'll let y'all know. Might add vanilla and almond extract to the glaze to help balance out the lemon juice.

They are incredibly yummy. Soft and kinda cake-like. Sweet and yet tangy. None of the flavorings or the cream cheese over power, kind of all meld together very nicely.

Please feel free to use this recipe and to share it with others. I just ask to be credited! icon_biggrin.gif

- Promise Terrell-Whitley (aka prterrell)

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks for the recipe and info on them, I will make them over the weekend thanks again

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 16

Arent you brilliant! They sound delish!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 16

WOW....they sound delish! Thanks for sharing!!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 16

Sounds sooooooo good! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you for sharing! Inventor and credit award is yours! thumbs_up.gif

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 16

These sound delicious! Thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 16

Has anyone else tried the recipe? Its sounds so good, my mouth is watering! Thanks so much for sharing.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:17am
post #14 of 16

This sounds interesting. Can this recipe be halved?

What's the spread on these in the oven? I'm wondering if they can be further adapted for use as a cut-out cookie, or as a cream cheese dough for pastry.

And why all the different flavors of extract? Is that a personal preference, or were they all needed to create flavor in the dough? I personally do not like almond extract, and I'm sure I could sub more vanilla, but what about the lemon? Was it really necessary?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sweetsbym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetsbym Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:40am
post #15 of 16

Thanks for sharing, your so nice volunteering at a soup kitchen.
Such a good soul thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

This sounds interesting. Can this recipe be halved?

What's the spread on these in the oven? I'm wondering if they can be further adapted for use as a cut-out cookie, or as a cream cheese dough for pastry.

And why all the different flavors of extract? Is that a personal preference, or were they all needed to create flavor in the dough? I personally do not like almond extract, and I'm sure I could sub more vanilla, but what about the lemon? Was it really necessary?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I have no idea about halving the recipe, having only made it the one time.

They spread slightly, but not much. Way too sticky as is to use as a cut-out cookie, would have to add a LOT more flour.

I mixed the 3 flavors to simulate wedding/creme bouquet/princess emulsion type flavorings, which I didn't have on hand. It would probably be fine with just the vanilla flavoring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%