Ovens: Convection Vs. Double Oven (For A Slide In Range)

Decorating By amberlicious Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm by sewgratefulquilts

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 32

So I'm in the market for a new oven. If you could get either a large capacity convection or a double (small oven with a regular sized oven) what would you get.

Can you tell me about convection baking? Does it dry out cake?

31 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 32

I have a double oven with a convection on the top. I LOVE IT!!! I don't use the convection for caking though. I have heard that it dries out the cake. I saw a post on here today -- I will see if I can find the thread. They recommended putting a small bowl of water in the bottom of the oven to prevent drying.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 32

I was just getting ready to ask this same question when I saw this thread. I need a new oven and was wondering if I should go convection or reular oven. I have a friend that just got a convection oven and she burnt her first cake. She said she will have to adjust the timing in the future so that is why I was wondering what to get. Most TV chefs all use convection ovens, but then again most of them are not baking mainly cakes either.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 32

The only thing I will warn you of is to check the electric usage on any convection oven you consider. I was using one for a little while with no clue that is was using more than 4 times the normal electricity, so my bill skyrocketed. Not using that any more!! It was totally not worth it to me.

nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 32

I haven't noticed a huge change in my bill. The only real difference in convection versus electric is that the convection oven has a fan that runs all the time to circulate the heat. It shouldn't really cause a huge excess in electricity usage.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 32

Thanks for the good advice

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 32

I really like my convenction oven - it does cook quicker - so you need to turn down the temp abotu 25 degrees and check sooner than the recommended time.

I purchased it for baking, however, find what I REALLY like it for is roasing chicken- crispy on outside, juicy and tender on inside. - Yummy

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 32

I got a new oven about 6 months ago and went with a Samsung, the internal capacity was tons better than the slide in double ovens....I got a third rack so I can bake a ton of cake at one time (gotta watch the bottom though).

I don't like the convection for the cakes...it dries out the tops and tends to brown the tops too fast (at least in my samsung)....in mine you can choose regular oven or convection oven. I just use convection for meats and stuff.

I'm really happy with how much cake I can bake at one time in my Samsung!

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 32

Kitagrl
Where did U get your samsung and what model is it. Sounds like a good oven and I would like to check it out. I Like the fact that U can turn the convection off if needed.

Kitagrl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

Kitagrl
Where did U get your samsung and what model is it. Sounds like a good oven and I would like to check it out. I Like the fact that U can turn the convection off if needed.

I got mine at Best Buy.... check online prices too though because sometimes they the Best Buy online is cheaper than in-store...and they will honor the online price in the store if its cheaper.

I like Lowe's best for appliances but I don't think they carried the Samsung oven at the time...they might now though.

Its pretty much this one:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/appliances/ranges/electric-ranges/FCQ321HTUX/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail (not sure if its the exact, but Samsung doesn't make many different models.)

They had two models...one was "professional" and one was regular...the only differences was a different style touchpad and an extra rack in the "professional"! That's it! So I ordered a third rack and bought the regular one and saved a couple hundred bucks.

The LG has a very large interior as well...I didn't like the bright blue color inside haha, and it did cost more.

I was going to get a double oven until I saw how tiny the top oven is...its mostly just a "pizza oven" and would not work well for higher volume cakes. So glad I didn't get one!
Good luck!

Melvira Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees_luv

I haven't noticed a huge change in my bill. The only real difference in convection versus electric is that the convection oven has a fan that runs all the time to circulate the heat. It shouldn't really cause a huge excess in electricity usage.

I wonder if the difference is that I was using a commercial one. Not like a home oven with a convection feature. Which type do you use? I'll be mad if the landlord was 'snowing' me about the shop's electric bill.

nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I was going to get a double oven until I saw how tiny the top oven is...its mostly just a "pizza oven" and would not work well for higher volume cakes. So glad I didn't get one! Good luck!

Kitagrl - Which double oven did you look at? I have a double oven (top is convection or standard) and they are both the same size. Not quite as large as a standard oven, but larger than a "pizza oven".

nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

I wonder if the difference is that I was using a commercial one. Not like a home oven with a convection feature. Which type do you use? I'll be mad if the landlord was 'snowing' me about the shop's electric bill.

It's not commercial. There may be something to that comparison. It would be interesting to know.

Melvira Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:

It's not commercial. There may be something to that comparison. It would be interesting to know.

I bet that's it! She told me her husband didn't tell her until after she bought it that it used 4 times the electricity. I was floored!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #16 of 32

I have a Maytag (gas) stove with a convection or regular oven.... whichever you choose to use ... I can fit an 12 X 18 pan in it with no problems and could go larger if needed.. I literally brought a tape measure with me and measured the inside of the oven of stoves when I went shopping for my new one ... then went home and researched on the internet the pros/cons of each brand... granted, mine is a home type stove/oven, not a commercial type, but I love it!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #17 of 32

I have a double oven also with convection underneath.I bake with it all the time and it does not dry out my cakes.I do have to turn down the temp to 325 and it takes about 10-15 minutes longer to bake but I love mine!!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have a double oven also with convection underneath.I bake with it all the time and it does not dry out my cakes.I do have to turn down the temp to 325 and it takes about 10-15 minutes longer to bake but I love mine!!

Thanks for the info thumbs_up.gif I am also in the market for a new oven and was considering an electric double oven with a convection component on the bottom. I've never baked with electric or convection so your information is very helpful icon_smile.gif

Actually..all the info under this topic has been helpful but Kiddiekakes must have been reading my mind.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I was going to get a double oven until I saw how tiny the top oven is...its mostly just a "pizza oven" and would not work well for higher volume cakes. So glad I didn't get one! Good luck!

Kitagrl - Which double oven did you look at? I have a double oven (top is convection or standard) and they are both the same size. Not quite as large as a standard oven, but larger than a "pizza oven".

I don't remember...sorry! I'm sure yours is bigger than the one I saw.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I have a Maytag (gas) stove with a convection or regular oven.... whichever you choose to use ... I can fit an 12 X 18 pan in it with no problems and could go larger if needed.. I literally brought a tape measure with me and measured the inside of the oven of stoves when I went shopping for my new one ... then went home and researched on the internet the pros/cons of each brand... granted, mine is a home type stove/oven, not a commercial type, but I love it!

How many racks did yours come with?

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #21 of 32

When we were building our house, I chose the KitchenAid Architect dual 36" convection ovens. Best money we spent in this house! I use convection all the time. I bake at a lower temp, and I've yet to have a dry cake.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #22 of 32

I have the biggest slide in that I could find when I bought mine. It is an LG - and it is convection (or regular) I have found two things that are very important when baking with the convection feature. 1..... set a small pan of water in the bottom of the oven and 2.......lower the temperature by at least 25 degrees (mine does this automatically - if I set it at 325 it goes to 300)

I didn't care for the tops of the cakes being so very dried out, and the pan of water in the bottom of the oven prevents that from happening. I LOVE the oven, I can rack and stack the cakes in there and get all my baking done in a fraction of the time it used to take in a regular oven.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:47pm
post #23 of 32

Mine also lowers themp automatically. It's a whirlpool and both ovens are full size. The top one is convection and has 3 racks. I haven't tried the convection for cakes yet but want to give it a shot. Can I put cakes on all racks when using convection? Do you place the pan of water on the bottom rack on directly on the bottom of the oven?

Loucinda Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:17am
post #24 of 32

Yes, I load all 3 racks when I am using the convection feature. The pan of water goes directly on the floor of the oven (mine is electric)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #25 of 32

Thanks Loucinda, I'll give it a try. Mine is electric too.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #26 of 32

Great timing! I have been considering a double oven-seems so much faster. The baking time just kills me-as an in-home baker!

Kitagrl Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #27 of 32

The only bad thing about mine on convection is that I find it browns the tops before they are even baked....the ones that are closest to the fans... even if I forget I'm preheating the oven and stick cake in (the fans blow during preheat) I will accidentally pre-brown the batter. Its weird. So I stick to regular bake...because I do tend to stuff the oven full of pans!

Loucinda Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #28 of 32

I don't have that same problem Kitagirl - I do however, have one hot spot that I watch - it is the top rack, right hand side. (the fan is actually on the 2nd shelf rack on my oven) I just turn the pan that sets in that one spot a couple of times and I am good to go.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #29 of 32

In my confection oven the fan in the back takes up room, I can't fit a 16" round in my oven, so that really bums me out. I love the way it bakes though.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #30 of 32

I have a double convection oven for my home kitchen. I love it for roasts and breads, but I always use the conventional feature rather than the convection feature for cakes and brownies and things like that. I find my cakes rise better when I don't use convection. I usually bake at 325 rather than 350 even though I'm using conventional mode.

I have a commercial convection oven at the kitchen where I rent space. I don't like it at all. The tops of the cakes set way too soon and inhibit rising and we have to put the cakes in, turn off the oven, turn on the oven after 8 minutes and then we often have to turn the pans after 10 minutes to get even layers. Way too much effort!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%