Gold Piping?

Decorating By mangotango Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm by nesweetcake

mangotango Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangotango Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there
just wanted to know how you can get the gold colour on the cake. For instance I tried to colour the gold buttons on a purse and I tried using the luster dust with spirit but am not getting the same effect. Is there another product out there that will give me a true gold ( and silver ) colour? Thanks so much: D

7 replies
CrankyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrankyCakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 8

The only other thing I can think of is airbrushing them. Try mixing the luster dust with very little alcohol, making it more of a paste.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 8

Yes, you need to mix it into quite a thick liquid - almost a paste, then it will really show up. You may also need more than one coat - make sure the first is completely dry before re-coating.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 8

Sadly, to get a real gold color you will need to leave time to make several coats...the only way it works.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 8

Or...if it does not Have to be edible, get the Highlighter dust and mix with Everclear... It comes out a real gold color... But, Highlighter is not considered "eatable"...

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 8

I have found that the gold luster dust "paint" shows up best on brown fondant!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 8

Really??? brown fondant??? I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the great idea!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 8

Also, per Nick Lodge, start with your fondant a kinda gold color, then your painting will be more true. For silver start with gray fondant. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%