Decorating By biatch Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 4:13am by Mommy2ThreeBoys

biatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biatch Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me what is glycerine, and where can I get it. I need it to make a marzipan?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 7

You can find it at the craft store or the health food store. At the craft store it's in the cake decorating aisle and at the health food store it will be near the essential oils and the supplies for making your own lotions. If you buy it at the health food store, make sure it says USP on it.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #3 of 7

First, welcome to CC.

By Googling, I get the Wikipedia definition as this:

Foods industry

In foods and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent and sweetener, and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs. Glycerol and water are used to preserve certain types of leaves. As a sugar substitute, it has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60 percent as sweet as sucrose. Although it has about the same food energy as table sugar, it does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. As a food additive, glycerol is labeled as E number E422.

Glycerol is also used to manufacture mono- and di-glycerides for use as emulsifiers, as well as polyglycerol esters going into shortenings and margarine.
You can buy food grade glycerin in the pharmacy department of your local Walmart.

You will tend to see it called for in the making of any of number of things in the cake decorating world, fondant being one of them.

Some marzipan uses just a tiny bit to keep it soft and chewy.

Hope that helps!


MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #4 of 7

It can be purchased at Wal-Mart (in the cake decorating section). They sell the Wilton brand. The bottle says it "restores the consistency of icing colors". But I have a fondant recipe that calls for it. icon_smile.gif

biatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biatch Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #5 of 7

thanks everyone, this is a great site, and will be using it lots in the future...

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 7

You can buy marzipan already made if you want. They sell it at the grocery store in small amounts. it is in a tube or a box sometimes. It is a small amount like 8oz or 12oz. It is enough to make small fruits and figurines. It is in the baking isle

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:13am
post #7 of 7

I have never found it at Wal-Mart, but you can get it at Hobby Lobby. The recipe that I have that calls for it is really good. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%