Emergency Cake... I Am Exhausted!

Business By HarleyDee Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 11:40am by marmalade1687

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 10

As I've posted already, I had my first bridal show a couple of weeks ago. I think I did the most good by meeting all of the other vendors. One florist (very well known in this area) came to me and introduced himself. He told me he didn't recommend bakers unless he loved their work, and he loved mine. Long story short, I get a phone call from him yesterday at about noon. (Keep in mind I just got home from a week long vacation on Friday). He says, "I have an emergency. I have a lady here who went to pick up her daughter's bridal shower cake and brought it to me to put flowers on top. It looks HORRIBLE. I mean, a 1st grader did this. It's just awful. Do you think you could possibly make her another one? For tomorrow?"

I could hear the mother and daughter in the background, and they were so upset. The cake she wanted was a white BC with black zebra stripes to feed 200. I really hope the florist took a pic of the cake because I want to see it. Anyway, she begs me to do it, says one to feed 100 will be fine. She just wants anything at this point. So at 1pm I set off to get supplies (I had no sugar, no eggs, no PS, no butter, nothing). I get home and start working on the cake about 3:30. Worked until 11 last night, then got back up at 3:30am, and finally finished the cake around 7:30. I had to meet the lady at 10am. She was beyond thrilled. She already told me she wants me to do the wedding cake in December. We'll see if she follows through. But at least I got some extra money to make up for what I spent on vacation icon_smile.gif I'm exhausted though, and I have to be up early to substitute teach freshmen tomorrow icon_eek.gif

9 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 10

Good for you! I would have done the same thing- I'm a sucker for emergencies!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #3 of 10

That was really sweet of you. And I think it's great the florist called you!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 10

That was a great business move. Your customers AND the incredible florist know that you'll go out of your way to make a great product and make the customer happy.

Way to go! icon_biggrin.gif

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #5 of 10

Well done, you did a great job & you know good word of mouth can do wonders for you as a cake decorator!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 10

I love this story! You saved the day!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #7 of 10

I got more info to the story. Talked to the client (Debbie, from here on out) today, and she told me about receiving the first cake. She met with the baker in a supermarket parking lot as it was easier for both parties. The baker didn't really say much to Debbie and her two daughters (the cake was for one daughter) but just proceeded to put the cake in her car. Debbie said all of a sudden her daughter started crying, and Debbie knew something was up. She said she looked at the cake and just couldn't believe it. The baker said, "What's wrong, is that not what you wanted?" Debbie's daughter told her, "I asked for white with black zebra stripes." The baker then said, "Well.. it's black and white." And the daughter said, "but it's not striped."

And get this.. Debbie said the baker replied with, "Well I don't have time to talk about this right now. I have a wedding to get to." And got in her car and left!! Can you believe that? At least I know I've got that lady beat on customer service. Heck, I called Debbie three times the day it was delivered. Once to tell her I had left it with the person responsible for pickup, once to confirm the cake made it, and then another time after the shower to ask how the shower went. I just can't believe a professional would talk to a client like that.

But it worked out well for me. Debbie said there were over 200 people at the shower, and she said everyone thought it was so cute. And she said she couldn't count the number of people who said it was the best tasting cake they've ever had. Score a point for the new girl in town icon_smile.gif

**I know I post long messages on here, and ramble a lot. It's just that no one else gets my frustration and excitement and astonishment quite like you fellow bakers do icon_smile.gif **

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:14am
post #8 of 10

this was a great story! icon_biggrin.gif Kudos to you for coming through! sounds like you got yourself a business contact icon_wink.gif

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:30am
post #9 of 10

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif FINALLY a positive story with all the craziness that is going on! What a great thread! CONGRATS!!!!!

PS: I do my best under emergencies too..... thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:40am
post #10 of 10

Good for you!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif I love happy endings!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%