How To Make Cake Look Like Strip Of Bacon?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm by janebrophy

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 12

I need to make a cake that looks like this picture. I'm not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?
LL

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 12

take a sheet cake and split in half length wise

then put end to end

carve top of cake to have hills and valleys --

hint -- use the carved out cake from valley and flip it over onto cake to make a hill. -- less to no waste that way.

dirty ice it (crumb coat) as Buddy on CakeBoss says.

then cover in fondant.

TOP: fondant would be several individually colored and cut strips (some that off white, some the red or even a bit more darker toward brown) -- cut so not even but have the same type of irregularities found in real bacon.

lay fondant strips side-by-side so they touch and then roll them so they meld into one sheet. trim at edge.

SIDES: -- make them the darker brown.

---
fun: break out the black food coloring and a brush and add burnt bits here and there.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 12

I think I'd attempt painting it or make the striped fondant first and then cover the cake.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 12

Doug, you are my hero.

If I could have your brain for just one day...of course then you would have mine and forget exactly why you came upstairs in the first place, only to remember why when you get back downstairs icon_rolleyes.gif

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much for the suggestions - I have a much better understanding on how to accomplish this cake now. Wish me luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamconn

Doug, you are my hero.

If I could have your brain for just one day...of course then you would have mine and forget exactly why you came upstairs in the first place, only to remember why when you get back downstairs icon_rolleyes.gif

and who says I don't do that already too! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweigl

Thank you so much for the suggestions - I have a much better understanding on how to accomplish this cake now. Wish me luck!

ok....good luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #7 of 12

Use chocolate clay for the top of the cake, it looks a lot more like bacon than you can get from fondant. Layer the different colors, then roll it out flat with a rolling pin. It will give you a good variegated, fatty-looking piece o' pork!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #8 of 12

Try chocolate fondant. Mmmmm.

On Ace of Cakes recently, the gang made a b'day cake for Duff, using his favourite foods as the idea. One of the girls made 'bacon roses' by marbling shades of brown and white fondant into strips, then rolling out and cutting into roses. But you could make a larger 'strip' and place that onto the cake as carved per Doug's suggestion.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #9 of 12

Cover it in fondant? Naw, I would cover it with modeling pastes made from chocolate or melts mixed with some red melts to get the right color for the meaty part, then use peanut butter melts for the fatty part. Even caramel would work but you'd have to work fast, because caramel hardens back up quickly.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 12

I completed the cake - I decided to do fondant - I haven't used modelling chocolate yet, so didn't want to use it on this cake. I think it came out pretty well - I had a slight problem with the fondant strips not sticking together, but I think I need to roll it out thicker next time.
LL

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 12

Excellent job!! thumbs_up.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 12

Nice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%