Gluten-Free Sugar Cookie Problem...

Baking By Elise87 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 6:05am by ckdcr8r

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 8:36am
post #1 of 7

I just tried my first attempt at gluten free cookies and it was a disaster! Instead of them being flat they ended up completely puffed up in the oven! Once i took them out they went down a little but are still a bit puffy on top.

Here is the recipe i used and was wondering if you guys could help me with what went wrong, could it maybe be too much baking soda, or just a bad recipe? I have no idea icon_sad.gif :
http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/celiac/cookies5.html

If anyone has a better gluten-free rolled sugar cookie recipe that bakes flat like normal cookies or something similar i would LOVE to know

Thank-you so much, i am completely lost thumbsdown.gif

6 replies
Elise87 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 7

anyone? any good recipes?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 7

Hubby tried using rice flour in the NFSC recipe (minus leavening) for a friend of his at work. I felt the result was a little gritty, as the flour wasn't fine enough, but the recipe worked normally.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

I have the following recipe- but I've never tried it.

3 1/2 c gluten free flour (my understanding is that this is cornstarch with some additives to prevent clumps)
3/4 c soy or chickpea flour
3/4 c sugar
1c butter or margarine
3 eggs
tsp vanilla sugar

Cream butter with the sugar- add the remainer.
"Flour" the surface with cornstarch

Bake at 350 for 15 min.

HTH!

Elise87 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 7

thanks for the tips and recipes guys

I was told just replacing the flour to gluten free doesn't work with everything but i figured it wouldn't matter as much in cookies so yesterday i just took a normal almond biscuit recipe and just changed from normal flour to gluten-free plain flour and it worked alright. Yeh mine was gritty too and didn't taste nearly the same but it was edible and alright unlike whatever recipe i used above!!! lol

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 7

I would try it eliminating the cream of tartar since it has baking powder in it and see what happens HTH

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:05am
post #7 of 7

Betty Crocker has a Gluten Free line out now. They have cake mix, brownie mix, and chocolate chip cookie mix. I have tried the cookies twice. The first time they spread real bad, but the second time they were perfect. The texture was a little crumbly, and the cookies were fragile, but they looked and tasted pretty good.

I am on a mission to create a gluten free line of cookies for my business at the request of a friend who has an autistic child. She is trying to stick to a gluten free diet for him, as gluten is like a drug for him. I was disturbed to find out that he couldn't have something as simple and delicious as a cookie, and it made me sad to think any child has to go without for any reason, so i am setting out to change that.

It is very difficult to mess with the natural order of things and remove an essential protein from flour. Textures just won't be the same, but if it tastes good, hopefully it will work out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%