Need Help Identifying Gum Paste Tools!

Decorating By tricia1973 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm by tricia1973

tricia1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia1973 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #1 of 4

I just bought a Wilton 32 piece flower gum paste tool set. There are a few things that I have no idea what they are for! One is a rectangular vinyl covered piece of cardboard with a clear plastic flap. The other, is a set of white things that look to be part of some sort of stand but with something missing to put them together. I know I sound silly, but I'm just starting out and still learning as I go.

3 replies
adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 4

the vinyl covered cardboard w/ plastic flap (i have no idea what it's really called) is used to put your cutouts under so they don't dry out. that is, lift the plastic flap and lay them down. the plastic will keep the air from getting to them.

the white things are to stand the cardboard piece up. i've never used these pieces.

the cardboard and stands are also used to practice piping. there's sheets that you can get with various pictures of piping techniques and you can lay them under the plastic and pipe over them. then wipe off as needed.

don't worry about sounding silly. it's all a learning process thumbs_up.gif

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 4

It called Practice board - you roll your gum paste or fondant directly on the vinyl part, put Crisco and some corn powder on it, then cut out with cutter and slide under the vinyl to prevent drying, while you working with other piece on the foam. We used this board in our Wilton classes 1-4 for practicing piping. The stands are for practicing piping on side of the cake as ruffle or scrolls. I found this tool very useful.

tricia1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia1973 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much! I asked this question quite a while ago, thinking I would get an automatic email to my yahoo address when there were replies. Just happened to check on my own and found your answers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%