Filling Bulging Out Of Fondant! Help!

Decorating By Jackie8921 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 7:39am by tinygoose

Jackie8921 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie8921 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to make a cake and I have a fruit filling that is inside. I used the "pool" method to keep the filling in place, but when I put the fondant on top of the cake, you can see the icing/space where the filling is. It looks like it is bulging out.

How can I make it so that my fondant covered cake is smooth all over? I even tried removing some of the filling to make the "non cake" area smaller but nothing seems to be working! Please help! Any suggestions or explanations would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 8

The only thing I do is to pipe a super thick (not quite thick as dough, but close) buttercream dam around the outside ring of the cake before putting the filling inside. That helps the filling stay in and helps the top layer sit on the bottom layer with more support. Some people fill their cakes and then either put a cake board on the top layer and push down or leave the filled cake to sit for anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight before laying on the fondant. That will give the cake time to settle, and if it's going to bulge, it will do so before you get the fondant on, when there is still time to fix it easily.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 8

What's the "pool" method?

Londonchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Londonchic Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 8

Sounds as if you used too much filling. Are you sure it's bulging badly or you just being a perfectionist?
Can't you do a design on the sides to hide it?

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 8

tracey1970 took the words right out of my mouth! thumbs_up.gif I am also one of those that once filled, I bag the tiers, remove as much air as possible and let the cake(s) compress and settle for at least 8 hours, but usually overnight before crumb coating and applying the fondant. I never have bulges using this method. Please give it a try! icon_biggrin.gif

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 8

Sometimes if your fondant covering is a bit too thin, it will show more imperfections, try keeping it at about 1/4" thick. Also, I agree with the freezing/settling. I always freeze my cakes before icing. : ) Good luck!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:26am
post #7 of 8

Sleeved pastry filling usage chart by cake size:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckIdea.aspx?Occ1Id=&ideaId=168&idea=494&occasion=General Cake Instructions

HTH

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:39am
post #8 of 8

Yep I agree with Tracy & Online Annie not enough settling time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%