hi leah_s, another free weekend but a cake and cookies next weekend

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #3 of 60

I just finished 2 doz bumblebee cuppies. Working on a little prep for tomorrow

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 60

I just got back from hearing Anthony Bourdain giving a talk. It was - well everything you might imagine.

So I'm *starting* to decorate the first of two wedding cakes and one groom's cake.

bfranzen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfranzen Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 60

Finished a golf cake for a 40th birthday a while ago. Now I'm working on a birthday cake with John Deere green and yellow--shouldn't be too bad! Hope everyone doesn't have to stay up TOO late!

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 60

I'm off this weekend (as far as cake goes) Going to a wedding tomorrow to taste someone else's cake. My 10 yr old loves being the cake "critic" LOL Cheers to everyone working late tonight icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 60

I suspect that I'll be having breakfast at the FNCC . . .

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:56am
post #8 of 60

leah_s, I'm so jealous! I LOVE Anthony Bourdain! I wish he'd do a "talk" in Atlanta!

No cakes this weekend. I'm spending most of the weekend in a Godly Play training workshop. Baking simple cookies next week to take to a soup kitchen on Wed (donation). Next cake I have planned to do is for confirmation at my church which is 10/18, still tossing ideas around in my head for that one.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #9 of 60

Leah I will be joining you for breakfast icon_smile.gif I have 100 square wedding cakes due tomorrow at noon... I am contemplating suicide by spork at this point, it would be less painful. Right now I am re baking a 12x18 cake and remaking a batch of icing.... Poured fondant is NOT my friend.... So now I am covering the top in satin ice, and icing the sides in buttercream then pouring fondant on again... I really really really hope it works.....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #10 of 60

I'm just working on a friend's baby shower cake. Nothing too big.

LeahS - Good luck with all the cakes! I hope you get them done ASAP.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #11 of 60

Geesh, I actually stayed late to work on cakes tonight! It's been a long day!

Delivered a breakfast at 7:00 a.m. Straight to the shop to finish a wedding cake. Prepped/cooked food for a rehearsal dinner. Spent 2 hours on a bridal consult and had to throw them out at 3:00 so I could pick up daughter from home and get her to work by 3:30, then load up the rehearsal dinner, deliver it 30 minutes away. While driving, I get call to confirm a cake for tomorrow that I forgot about, so run home to get the inspiration photo (from the Naughty Pics section, if you get my drift!)

Amazingly, I finished my fondant-covered Naughty cake, from cracking the first egg to clean up, in about 2.5 hours! icon_surprised.gif Finished the wedding cake and the groom's cake. Daughter gets off work at 8:00, walks over to the shop, laughs at my naughty cake saying "OMG, my MOM made that!". we clean up and head home.

I'm really disappointed that I can't post the pic of the naughty cake on my website, 'coz it's pretty cool, if I say so myself! icon_biggrin.gif

GottaLuvCake, we want cake reviews when you get back! icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #12 of 60

just got 2 cakes baked and in the freezer for tues..one to decorate with a ballerina.. the other 2 layer chocolate with fall leaves,etc. still working on my fair cake.. got all the flowers.. leaves, etc. finished as of today. got to dust a few more things. will start covering cakes next week.. have to have them there by the 14th of oct... i am exausted.. gumpaste hibiscus.leaves. and buds... bird of paradise.. palm leaves.. bougainvillea , leaves. and tropical leaves.. nick lodges dvd..wish you luck on all your cakes tonite leah.. and everything goes good..

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #13 of 60

indydebi - is there any way we can see the cake? Can you pm it to me? I'm ever so curious... LOL

And for the record, I can't freakin believe that this is the second Friday in a row that I am sitting here reading this thread.... icon_redface.gif Am I getting old? Is this a sign? LOL...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #14 of 60

I did a bug cake on Wednesday and put it in the fridge for pickup tomorrow a.m. (had to go out of town Thurs/Fri) and then tonight put the buttercream on a cake so I can fondant it tomorrow...its for a tiered farm theme cake similar to one I saw on here.

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #15 of 60

I panicked when a customer called to pick up her cookie order. In my head I was screaming "WHAT COOKIE ORDER?" And I sweetly said, "How about noon tomorrow?"

They're done.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:10am
post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I panicked when a customer called to pick up her cookie order. In my head I was screaming "WHAT COOKIE ORDER?" And I sweetly said, "How about noon tomorrow?"

They're done.

Haha awesome save!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:10am
post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

They're done.

Oh thank GAWD it happens to you too! icon_lol.gif

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #18 of 60

Starting work on a treasure chest cake for a seven year old girl. She wants a pink cake with blue trim and a girlie pirate, wish me luck!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #19 of 60

That sounds like it will be really cute, Melchas! Can't wait to see pics! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #20 of 60

OK, three tiers decorated.

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #21 of 60

I just finished a 3-d cat. Made some fondant for tomorrow as well as a cake for Sunday. The cat turned out ok... Could have been better though! I'm not a great carver, that's for sure!!
I was glad to see I wasn't the only one on here tonight! Good luck everyone with your orders! Next week I'll probably be freaking out trying to get an undecided amount of cupcakes done for a craft show. Hopefully that goes well!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #22 of 60

crumb coating bottom tier of what's going to be a 3 tier wedding cake that's due sunday. i'm contemplating staying up to ice it, wait for it to crush and viva it...but i'm so exhausted. my 7 month old and 3 year old will be waking me up before i know it, so i think i'm going to bed icon_smile.gif

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #23 of 60

I have a small orange cake (I'm using a made-up recipe...fingers crossed) baking now and then in about 10 minutes, I have to get some chocolate cakes in the oven. Both are non-paying cakes...the guy whose kitchen I use's b-day and my cousin's b-day...boo! But it is allowing me to tinker with recipes and decorating ideas. I'm contemplating replicating a vw bus (the mini van looking VWs from the 60's) for my cousin but I'm not sure that I'll be able to do a decent job and I'm not sure I want to put that much effort into a free cake for someone I'm not even 100% I like very much (family drama...) but it would be good for my portfolio I suppose and he'd definitely like it. Anyhow, that is why the chocolate cakes aren't in the oven. I have to decide what I'm making it into once it is baked.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:39am
post #24 of 60

I'm working on a car cake which I am praying is not a disaster. I REALLY want to learn how to carve cakes so they are like show stopping good. Maybe some day...

Anywhoo, that's probably all I will get done tonight. Third cake for the week, then one for Sunday. I'll probably work on that tomorrow unless I get second wind.

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:58am
post #25 of 60

Four tiers decorated.

Starting the groom's cake.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #26 of 60

you are on a roll Leah, keep it up!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:09am
post #27 of 60

Okay Leah, you are killing. I must be the slowest decorator on earth! I spent more time that I'm going to tell trimming, filling and icing 5 tiers. Three of the tiers are stacked and covered with chocolate ganache and the other two will be stacked and ganached onsite at the reception site tomorrow. I did make a ton of filling and had to make extra ganache but I hate 14" cakes. We just don't get along.

I've also decided I don't like buttercream cakes because I can't stack worth a darn. I use SPS and still screw up the sides. AAARRRGGGHHHH! Guess I just need more practice on bigger cakes since I haven't really done that many.....

Thanks for letting me vent! thumbs_up.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:10am
post #28 of 60

Well I'm just checking in -- I'm finishing up a 5 tier wedding cake, actually marking the SPS plates and supports --
for ------- my daughter's wedding tomorrow!!

Plus the grooms cake is finished - which is a 3D barn, silo and grain bins -- except for assembly the different pieces on a large plywood board and applying green royal icing for the grass effect.

Keep me going FNCC friends! It's been a long, long, long week!!

Suze

Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:10am
post #29 of 60

Refrigerating the cakes before stacking helps a TON, if you can....makes the buttercream hard so you can adjust it while stacking.

That's why I had so much trouble stacking my meringue one...I am way too spoiled and used to stacking fondant cakes or COLD buttercream....so I cannot properly stack anything with soft mushy icing!!!!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:12am
post #30 of 60

Hey everyone! Hows it going??
Im just finishing up a Wipeout birthday cake..and i might need some opinions, im not 100% sure if it looks finished enough or not...

Hope everyone is having a good night! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%