Llc Help

Business By sari66 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:15am by tracycakes

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #1 of 8

Hey all, after 4yrs in business I've decided to change my business from sole prop. to an LLC. Now I've been doing research before doing this and today I went online to get the forms I would need to do this, here's what I don't understand on the articles of organization it's asking for the name of the registered agent..who might that be? I've read it but I still don't know if they want my name or someone elses icon_confused.gif Also it's asking for the registered office icon_confused.gif
I thank you all in advance. If it matters I'll be doing this for NC as I just bought a house there.


7 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 8

Sorry I can't help you, but at least this will give you a bump. I know there are a few people on here that know all about this stuff, including indydebi. I'm sure you will get a response soon...but it's be patient!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 8

I'm in Louisiana and maybe the forms are a little different in different states. The registered agent is you. On our forms there are spaces for other registered members of your LLC if you have them.

Hope this helps.


sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 8

Thank you pipe-dreams and suzylynn! So the agent is me and do I list my home addy as the registered office?


indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 8

TO paraphrase Martha Stewart (you may have heard of her .... self made billionaire? icon_biggrin.gif ), "Anyone who thinks they are saving money by not contacting a lawyer at the front end, will pay for it at the back end."

I know it's possible to do the forms yourself, and do the filing yourself, but to me, it is SO worth it to hand it all over to an attorney and let them do it. All the T's are crossed, etc.

mpence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpence Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 8

The registered agent is the person or business entity to which legal inquiries, etc. regarding the company should be directed (i.e. the point of contact). The registered agent is also the person or entity who will be served with a lawsuit in the event one if filed against the company. You can act as the registed agent of the company or you may elect to have your attorney or another company act as your registered agent. Companies that act as registed agents typically charge about $100 per year for the service. Often the sole member of a single member LLC will elect to be the registered agent.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks indy and mpence, I do have an attorney but figured that I fill out the paperwork without needing her; guess not icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the help.


tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 8

You need to have your lawyer handle it. My business is set up as an LLC and we thought we had it all done. We talked to our lawyer about some other stuff and found at that we did NOT have everything filled out and we didn't have the protection that the LLC provides. It's definitely worth getting your lawyer involved. Straight from the horse's mouth. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%