When Do You Stack You Cakes?

Decorating By weberm05 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm by majka_ze

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering when you stack your wedding cakes? The day before the wedding, or right before you take it to the reception???

I'm doing a 3 tier cake tomorrow. Just got the 6th cake out of the oven. I would love to ice and stack them today, but right now i'm trying to figure out different ways to store 6 individual cakes to keep them moist. I was going to ice and stack them tomorrow.

An experienced wedding cake lady told me that she would make and ice the wedding cakes and store them under a sheet draped across two chairs. Would that work?

What do you guys do, espically if you have a couple cakes for that day?

Thanks!!!

3 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 4

I stack when I am done with everything, filling, icing, settling, covering etc based on my time line of having the cake completed the day before. That means that I also stack the day before, in case something goes wrong, I have time to fix it. I would find it too stressful to stack right before delivery but that is just me.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 4

I would suggest; to help keep your stresses and leave yourself enough time for small touch-ups and enough time to set up to ice the cakes today (or the day before), let them settle for a little while then stack them. Add any additional decorations as needed. If the cakes do not require refrigeration you should be okay as the cakes will be iced and that will help keep the cakes moist. Hope this makes sense it is still kinda early for me hehehe.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 4

I would say it depends on many variables. Sometimes it is easier to stack the cake on the venue, if the design allows - it means easier transport and handling. You need to bring icing (and some fondant) with you for touch up (and this is a good idea anyway).

You can stack your cake the day before wedding. It means you are completely finished, but means handling the whole cake at once when transporting it and setting it up. For a big cake, you definitively need a cart for easier transport.

As for storing the cakes and keep them moist - fill them, crumbcoat them. If you can't, put them in plastic bag and seal it with a rubber band (or do it even with crumbcoated cakes). This is enough for a few days.

And good luck to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%