Dipping Cake Balls...

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm by mommyle

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:24am
post #1 of 29

I've seen some pictures of some cake balls on here that are soooo smooth. How do you dip cake balls (or anything) in chocolate and have it come out smooth? It always seems like mine come out "lumpy" or just not perfectly smooth.

28 replies
MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:45am
post #2 of 29

Do you mean truffles? I have been trying to get a receipe from someone but nobody has gotten back to me.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 29

Do search for cake balls. There are lots of recipes on here. It's really easy. Just use cake scraps or any cake, crumble it up and use something as a binder that compliments your cake flavor. (flavored coffee creamer, frosting, etc) Roll them into balls and dip them in chocolate, white chocolate, ganache, whatever. Cute, easy and soooo yummy. icon_biggrin.gif

As for getting them smooth, I notice a couple things. The surface of the ball has to be smooth to begin with and the thickness of the melted chocolate sometimes makes a difference. I'm sure others on here could help more than I have.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 29

my recipe includes raw egg as a binding agent, would you use raw egg?

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 29

Oh no way. I wouldnt. Just for safety reasons. I would use the coffee creamer. That is what I think most people use.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 29

eww... nope. Most just use icing of some kind.
If you are looking for a perfect ball then get yourself a half round mold and use that to help shape them. Those who dip or spoon over the chocolate spin the pops gently while the chocolate hardens. The centripetal force helps the chocolate to smooth out as it cools and hardens. There is a great tutorial on YouTube.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 29

I wouldn't use raw egg either. I use any liqour(sp) or ganache they seem to taste the best!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 29

I think freezing the balls before dipping makes the chocolate harden quicker so it's smoother.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 29

I use 1 tsp. of shortening per cup of melted chocolate it helps to thin it a little for dipping and gives it a nice shiny appearance.

Then I freeze the cake balls and use a skewer or a toothpick and stick in the cake ball and then dip into the chocolate.

Then I take my cooling rack and prope it up about 12" off the counter using fondant buckets or you could use coffe cans/shortening cans, whatever........and just set the cooling rack's edge on either side of the cans and put a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper underneath to catch drips.

After I dip the cake ball, I turn it right side up and feed the bottom of my toothpick/skewer through the grates on my cooling rack and grap the bottom of it with the other hand from underneath the cooling rack and let the cake ball rest on the cooling rack and slowly twist and pull the toothpick/skewer out of the cake ball. Then the excess can drip and your cake ball will be nice and smooth and the only marks it will have will be one or two lines on the bottom from the cooling rack....but I stick mine in little cupcake liners so nobody sees that anyone.....but it keeps it from puddling up under the cake ball which can leave a rin around it like saturn.......not pretty.

HTH

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 29

I wouldn't add a raw egg. I add thinned out icing, simple syrup or liquor to bind the cake (or a combo of actually).

It maybe that your chocolate is too thick. Like the previous poster, I add a touch of shortening to the chocolate right after melting to make it smooth and more workable. Freeze the cake balls first and it helps as well.
I do a quick tap, tap upon dipping. If they still are a bit lumpy, I usually will melt chocolate with some color and then drizzle over the cake balls to hide it. Looks a bit fancy too. icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 29

I always add shortening to my melted chocolate.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 29

KHalstead - your method sounds genius! I have been wanting to try cake balls but couldn't figure a way to dip them and then get them off the sticks! Now I can't wait to try!

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 29

bakerella has some great recipes using cream cheese and then you can add whatever you want. cookiesn'cream are great. I'm going to make some "cake pops on sticks" pumpkins and ghosts for Halloween and give them to my grandson's preschool.

jcasey51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcasey51 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 29

I also had trouble with both almond bark and Merkens wafers being too thick and as soon as the cold cake ball went in, the coating hardened up and did not look pretty or smooth. I added a bit of solid shortening and it helped thin out the coating so I had more time to play with it.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 29

KHalstead - what a fabulous idea! And I never knew about adding the shortening either! Is that the same as parafin (or however it is spelled?)? What about leaving the toothpick/skewer in the cake ball after dipping, but sticking it into a piece of styro foam covered in parchment so there aren't ANY marks at all. Do you think that would work?

Any preference on chocolate that you use?

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 29

Yes it works to stick the toothpicks in styro foam...thats how i do them.

Clovers Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:00pm
post #17 of 29

and the sticks pull out nicely when they've hardened?

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 29

I do them the same way revel. I cover my styrofoam with wax paper dip the cake balls, stick them in and let the excess chocolate drip off on to the wax paper. I use paramount crystals in my chocolate, keeps the chocolate from breaking apart when you bite into it. Before I got paramount crystals I used to use shortening which made the chocolate thinner and easier to coat the cake balls. I hope this helps a little.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:08am
post #19 of 29

Great ideas here! I've tried cake balls twice and each time i was less than pleased with how they looked. I tried freezing the cake balls first and still i got cake crumbs mixed up in the chocolate..dunno if i didn't freeze them long enough or not enough binder? I've thinned my icing with shortening prior to dipping and gently tapped them on the side of the bowl before placing them in the styro to cool..BUT>>the chocolate still drips off the bottoms of the balls leaving cooled drippings of chocolate on the balls. If i tap to much i don't get enough coverage.
Then i tired making those cute little cake pops that bakerella makes, and adding the little sprinkles etc.. but the chocolate either cooled too quickly or the sprinkle/mini choco chip just slid down the ball. very frustrating.

I've not done them since. When i see the perfect ones on here i am so discouraged and am embarrased to make them for any function. They taste good, but look less than professional.

Any ideas why i'm having issues?

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #20 of 29

paramount crystals....duh....I don't know why I had parafin in my head. Sorry, I'm not usually THAT out of it icon_sad.gif

I will definitely be trying it with the toothpicks. Do any of you use the chocolate chips?

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #21 of 29

Chocolate chips are not the best choice because they have a higher melting point than melting wafers or chocolate baking bars. They are meant to hold their shape in cookies so they don't melt as smoothly. Though if you are going to use shortening, you may find it works ok.
I've just found that the melting wafers make such a smoother product. HTH!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

KHalstead - what a fabulous idea! And I never knew about adding the shortening either! Is that the same as parafin (or however it is spelled?)? What about leaving the toothpick/skewer in the cake ball after dipping, but sticking it into a piece of styro foam covered in parchment so there aren't ANY marks at all. Do you think that would work?

Any preference on chocolate that you use?

Paraffin is a wax, shortening is different. I have used paraffin in my chocolate before for that nice shiny look. But I do use shortening in my chocolate as well. I like chips best. I made cakes balls tonight and used the wafers and they are fine in a pinch but I just don't like the flavor as well.

When I do them I put a toothpick in the cake ball. Dip the cake ball, and tap tap tap...then set it on wax paper to harden. Once hardened pull the pick and i do a little dollop of chocolate on the hole to seal it up.

I also will use a silicone pastry brush and brush it on if my chocolate is too thick. I don't like to put it so thick on mine.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:28pm
post #23 of 29

I use the almond bark chocolate stuff, they have white chocolate (vanilla) and milk chocolate, it melts nicely and has a nice sheen and I think the flavor is good. I pay 2.19 for 24 oz. of the stuff too. can't beat that!

Clovers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #24 of 29

while we're on the topic...

Has anyone ever tried to fill them - like you would a cupcake with a small tip? I was thinking of trying some, but I want to put some chocolate fudge in some and caramel in others...

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #25 of 29

Wow, that sounds delish! never thought of it. let us know if you try it, how it works

Clovers Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #26 of 29

I plan to test my idea on Monday night, so I'll post after that!

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #27 of 29

If you don't take the plastic off your styrofoam (I use the large, flat discs) dripping chocolate is way easier to clean-up. The toothpicks or sucker sticks leave holes, but there is certainly enough plastic left intact that you don't get chocolate dripping into the styrofoam surface.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:05pm
post #28 of 29

All of this advice is so helpful! I have tried the cake balls but like others they look awful. I sometimes have to close my eyes to eat them because i get frustrated with them not looking nice... haha. Thank you so much for the advice!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #29 of 29

You guys are GENIUS!!!!! WOW!!! I am actually looking forward to making those little buggers again!!!! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%