Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By cakecircus Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 6:50am by cakecircus

cakecircus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecircus Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:19am
post #1 of 20

Has anyone tried the DH Red Velvet cake? I can't find it where I live and I am curious.

19 replies
Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:29am
post #2 of 20

I have and it's delicious. I've made scratch red velvet and had it from a bakery and I still think the box mix is better. I made it for a wedding cake, a doctored mix, and everyone loved it.

The only store I was able to find it at was Albetrson's, but now I have seen it at a couple other super markets.

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 20

I made one on the 6th of this month for my sisters birthday and it was very good. I just followed the box directions and it turned out really nice. Very dense and moist. I get mine from wal mart.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 20

I love it

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 20

I also buy mine from Walmart. I like to doctor it up. Delish! thumbs_up.gif

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1mom

Care to share how you doctor it?

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #7 of 20

Funny you posted this today. I just got an order from a man who had my DH red velvet cake w/cc buttercream last week. He called and said he just had to have that cake ASAP!! He asked if he needed a special occasion or would I just make him a cake for no reason - how funny!! I said the only reason you needed was a love of cake!

I doctor mine up, including adding a box of white chocolate Jello pudding (read that tip here somewhere)

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #8 of 20

Funny...I was at my DD's house last weekend..LO and behold...a "RED" partially eaten cake layer(in the pan still) in the fridge????so I said "A mix ??" (their FAVORITE icing is CANNED)and it was.....apparently good....How do you compete against this????

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:13am
post #9 of 20

Yes, i doctor it too, and i think the Red Velvet is great. Just like the extra kick! Has anyone tried the coconut Duncan Hines Mix??? I cannot find it here ?

korensmommy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #10 of 20

I also like the DH coconut mix a lot. I doctor it up too, adding a box of coconut pudding and 1/2 milk 1/2 water. The only flavor I don't like from DH is strawberry, I prefer Pillsbury.

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 20

I am jealous that you can buy the coconut icon_sad.gif I do not do the strawberry or the lemon. i make the strawberry and my lemon from an enhanced box version recipe. The lemon one is on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

I also like the DH coconut mix a lot. I doctor it up too, adding a box of coconut pudding and 1/2 milk 1/2 water. The only flavor I don't like from DH is strawberry, I prefer Pillsbury.

korensmommy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #12 of 20

I just checked the DH website and I can get every flavor here but the caramel one.
Sometimes I can find them on sale for .75!
But, living in southern Louisiana, I have to deal with 85+% humidity year round. A real pain when working with fondant!

You get the good with the bad......

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #13 of 20

Here's a previous review thread on DH RV cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-160551-.html

HTH

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #14 of 20

Yes I have a few times....its great

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_4_dumplins

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1mom

Care to share how you doctor it?

I use this recipe here on cc for every cake I've done so far:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 20

I usually use Montclair Martha's Red Velvet Cake (Martha Stewart), for those that just have to have scratch, but personally I love DH Red Velvet.

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #17 of 20

I picked some up when I was in ID last month and it is great. Unfortunately we cannot get it here in Canada.

dpaulson512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpaulson512 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 20

Hi, just have to let you guys know that I found the DH Red Velvet and used the additions that you guys had talked about: 1 extra egg, use buttermilk instead of water, and add 1 instant box of white chocolate pudding and 2 T of cocoa. This cake is DELICIOUS! Even my daughter who dislikes cake loved it!

Just had to share!

Thanks so much for this group of creative people!

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #19 of 20

Love DH red velvet, and so does everyone i've fed it to! icon_smile.gif I use the cake box extender here on cc. Use the box directions, then add another egg (or egg white) cup of flour, cup of sugar, for red velvet i use 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of choc yogurt, and 1 tsp flavoring and a dash of salt! Always turns out yummy! icon_smile.gif

cakecircus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecircus Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:50am
post #20 of 20

Thanks for all the input! I only just figured out how to check on my post now.... I will have to go to WA State I guess to find it as I have not found it anywhere here in Vancouver, Canada.... I have never seen the coconut one so I will add it to my list of ones to find. I love the Pillsbury Strawberry Cake - it's so yummy with chocolate buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%