Wedding Cake Pricing? How Do You Add In Top Tier?

Business By madras650 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 2:17am by jlsheik

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 9

If the top tier is not included in the serving size, due to the couple saving it...how do you price the cake. Just with the servings that are being served at the wedding? Do you add extra charge for the top cake or is it just like a freebie knowing that it is not being served at the wedding.

Thanks all

8 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 9

I give it as a gift to the bride and groom.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 9

They don't do that much around here. I've never had a Bride wnat to keep the top.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 9

Unless you WANT to give it as a gift, you should be charging for it! Why would you not? A business is a business.....you have time, ingredients and supplies tied up in that top tier.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 9

I give it as a gift, but believe me, the top tier is covered in the total cost of the cake. Some people will charge for it based on the number of servings it has in it, it's up to you how to do it.

I know of people who charge for the top tier at the time of the wedding, then give a free small tier on the first anniversary. I do it the other way, so that the top tier of the cake isn't included in the serving count for the wedding cake, but if they want an anniversary cake they buy it from me on their anniversary.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 9

I charge for all of the cake I make. It's up to them to order extra to store away. I talk them out of it. Here, I'll make ya a free 4" cake for your first anniversary. Don't worry about lugging home a big honking cake and taking up space in your freezer! Takes zero effort on my part, and makes them feel extra special princessy.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 9

I also give it to the bride if she wants it. It all depends and beside who says that I will be around for there 1st year anniversary. I do not want to owe anybody anything.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #8 of 9

I charge them for it. I got no extra bonus points for throwing it in as a gift. No one's ever mentioned it in a thank you note, no referrals have come from it, so I charge them for it.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #9 of 9

I too charge for the whole cake...Then give them a extra top and ask them if they want it to freeze or a gift certificate for a fresh one. They really appreciate it and they don't have to worry about pulling it off and freezing it. It is really no big deal in the scheme of things to pour off extra batter. One catch...no special flavors...has to be what ever I am baking...most of the time it is white.
JMO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%