How Do I Keep Cakes From Sticking To The Pan?

Decorating By pregu2 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 3:00am by sugarandslice

pregu2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pregu2 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 14

I have had trouble with my cakes sticking to my pans, on round cakes. They are newer pans, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I currently use shortening and flour. I was wondering if there was anything else that would help.

13 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 14

I like to use Pam baking spray. It's got the flour already in it. Sometimes I think I spray too much, but I've never had a single cake stick to the pan.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 14

Do this:

mix equal parts shortening, oil and flour. Brush on pans with a pastry brush.

You will never, ever have a cake stick to a pan again.

Ever.

(you can thank the genius that is CCers fo that! they are brilliant!)

p.s. just put it in the fridge, keeps for longer than it will take for you to use it all.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 14

I was all about the baking sprays until I made my own cake release last week when I ran out of the spray. I would have to look it up again but I think it was 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup flour mixed well then mix in 1/2 cup of shortening. It makes a paste and you brush it on your pans...works GREAT.

DnEKakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnEKakez Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 14

I like to use baking spray and parchment paper ALWAYS works for me they never stick... Good Luck

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 14

I use homemade cake release and parchment paper. Never had a cake stick! thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 10:19am
post #7 of 14

Butter & parchment paper all the way...absolutely nothing sticks to it.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:03am
post #8 of 14

pregu2 I never had a cake stick to a pan before I bought my new cake pans, but the first time I used them I had a cake stick. I think it has something to do with an unseasoned pan, not sure. I would try the cake release that many people suggested with parchment paper if you are still having sticky issues. Good luck!

yary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yary2 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:30am
post #9 of 14

I use cake release or pan grease and I put the cake pan in the freezer while I make the batter. Always work for me.

yary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yary2 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:31am
post #10 of 14

I use cake release or pan grease and I put the cake pan in the freezer while I make the batter. Always work for me.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:35am
post #11 of 14

I use butter and parchment, Easy peasey and nothing sticks icon_biggrin.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #12 of 14

I dont know if this is a bad thing or not...but I always used to grease my pans with vegetable oil and then cover with flour but a friend of mine did a cake with me and just used a good bit of vegetable oil without the flour and i have never had a cake stick after i started doing this.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #13 of 14

I haven't floured pans in over 30 years. Beautiful color on the cakes, no sticking.

I would suggest that it's not so much WHAT you're using but perhaps how much you're using. Don't be afraid to slap that shortening on the sides of the pan! When I have people "help" me grease my pans, I ALWAYS have to tell them, "Put more in there!" It's like they're afraid to get the pan dirty! icon_lol.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #14 of 14

I also use the homemade cake release and baking (parchment) paper.
Nothing sticks to a pan in my kitchen!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%