Ice Cream Cakes Anyone?

Business By littlecake Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm by cupcakemkr

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 7

i get A LOT of requests for the...i have a big double freezer...was thinking of giving it a whirl...any thoughts or advice?

6 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

I do icecream cakes. I charge considerably more for them because they are more expensive to make, but they are fun to do.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

thumbs_up.gif I used to be a manager of a small ice cream/candy/coffee shop....I had a BLAST making ice cream cakes! The owner would get me to do them 2 different ways:

1. Bake a 8" cake layer...split in 2 pieces with an ice cream round that was packed the day before....and ice the outside either in buttercream or vanilla ice cream.

2. Pack 2 layers of ice cream rounds, either the same or different, and ice with vanilla ice cream or buttercream.

Both cakes had borders top and bottom...sometimes sprinkles, some times flowers...even did a horse on one , a small horse! and a race car also...I enjoyed doing them.

They both sold VERY WELL. icon_smile.gif The ice cream that we used was Hershey's brand....we had over 40 flavors to choose from! icon_surprised.gif

tonyas_jewels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyas_jewels Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 7

if you are doing them where you have a walk-in freezer, then i think they would be fun..but i just did one for my son's birthday, in my own kitchen and it was a big pain in the a$$..hard to keep ice cream from oozing out,trying to frost every thing fast, back and forth into the freezer..it took me forever!!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 7

I have never heard of Hershey's brand ICE CREAM. I'm from TX so they must not market it here. Sounds yummy!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 7

well i packed 4.5 pounds of ice cream into a 1/2 sheet pan and collar lined with plastic wrap...i figured i'd let it freeze until tomorrow...split the sheet cake....put fudge/ pecans/ chocolate chips in between the cake and ice cream....i also bought a bucket of riches buttercream to ice it with....

i can see if this goes over, i'll need to buy a soft serve machine instead of hand packing it...to save time.

i'm kinda excited....theres not an ice cream cake to be bought for 50 miles!

does my method sound ok?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 7

The health dept. around here makes you take samples of soft serve in to be tested for bacteria 2x a month. Gets to be a hassle when you're busy!

I love making ice cream cake, my son always requests one for his birthday. I bake 2 layers and put ice cream in between, frost with bettercream. So much better than a carvel cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%