Can I Use Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips In Molds?

Sugar Work By cakelovincrazy Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 3:07am by Sweet_Treats_1

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #1 of 15

Will it work using semi sweet chocolate chips in candy molds. I'm doing some cosmetic molds and was hoping to use regular chocolate chips.

14 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 15

Of course you can, I do it all the time.

cakelovincrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Of course you can, I do it all the time.

Perfect, thank you! icon_biggrin.gif Do I need to add anything to it or do anything special with it to make it work?

Rylan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 15

Nope, I don't add anything else..

Rylan Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 15

But there is a variety of flavorings out there but if you just want to use plain chocolate then it's fine.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #6 of 15

I've done it with just plain chocolate chips too. Works great.

cakelovincrazy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've done it with just plain chocolate chips too. Works great.

WOW I tried it this evening and worked perfect. I can't believe how long I've been stressing over this thinking I had to use wafers or pure chocolate.
Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #8 of 15

So you all do it without tempering the chocolate? Do you just chill 'em to get them out...and how do you keep em from getting too soft? I hate melts!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:00am
post #9 of 15

I usually add a tsp. of shortening (or even cooking oil) before melting, which seems to make it a little less fussy. The only time I ever had any trouble was when I overheated the chocolate in the microwave. It didn't burn, but it did develop a bloom when the chocolate set.

I just chill them in the fridge until the molds look "frosted" where the chocolate is.

I've never had them get too soft.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 15

I melt my chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave , stir and pour into my molds. I have place the molds in the freezer for about 5 min. to speed up the drying or set up time when I am in a hurry. Works fine for me.

cakelovincrazy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #11 of 15

I tested some with shortening and without and both worked really well for me. They came out perfect and stayed hard. I am so excited because my daughter is allergic to nuts and finding chocolate that is nut free is very difficult. Someone on here did mention to me some chocolate that is nut free, but it is very expensive.
We found chocolate chips at our local Aldi which is really cheap and taste great and is nut free, so now that I can use it in molds it's great!
THANKS! icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:32am
post #12 of 15

cakelovincrazy,
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I noticed Your daughter is allergic to nuts. Iam sending a link to QVC. They sell a Sun Butter made from sunflower seeds no nuts in it at all and it is delicious! Thought U might be interested if U ever want to make a peanut butter cake or a simple PB & J sandwich for your daughter. My son has a friend that is severly allergic to nuts so I'am always looking for good alternatives to use for people with allergies.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.M19887.desc.SunButter-3-16oz-Jar-Assortment

cakelovincrazy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

cakelovincrazy,
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I noticed Your daughter is allergic to nuts. Iam sending a link to QVC. They sell a Sun Butter made from sunflower seeds no nuts in it at all and it is delicious! Thought U might be interested if U ever want to make a peanut butter cake or a simple PB & J sandwich for your daughter. My son has a friend that is severly allergic to nuts so I'am always looking for good alternatives to use for people with allergies.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.M19887.desc.SunButter-3-16oz-Jar-Assortment

That is so sweet, thank you for thinking of me. She is severely allergic too, she had a bite of peanut butter when she was a little over 1 and it was sooooo scary. We can't even give her things that have been processed in a facitlity with nuts.
We've tried soybutter and it is YUCKY, so will definitely try sunbutter now.
Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 15

Hey that is good to know about soy butter- thanks! My daughter's classroom has some peanut allergies so I am always looking for alternatives for HER so that she can enjoy peanut-like snacks without endangering her classmates. I bought sunbutter but haven't tried it on her yet. It definitely tastes like sunflower seeds, but I like that taste. I have to decide whether or not to try to convince her it's a different tasting pb or introduce it as its own new flavor.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #15 of 15

The sunbutter definately taste like sunflower seeds , so I would advise anyone if U dont like the taste of sunflower seeds dont try the sunbutter. But it is delicious just to eat right off the spoon!(if U like sunflowers)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%