Black Royal Icing?????

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:11am by sewsweet2

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, I have the powder stuff from CK...just add water...but how do I get it black...I need very dark black royal..all I get is a grey????

Any hints or tips for this???
Thanks So Muchicon_smile.gif

8 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 9

with regular icing, they always say to start with chocolate icing then go black. Can you make the RI brown first?

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry, I use americolor super black. I take any left over colors I have and mix them all together, then add enough til it gets black. If you are starting from white, try adding in any other colors you have first, like blue, purple anything dark. You can also add cocoa powder if you dont mind the chocolate taste. Americolor works great.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 9

It's not so hard to do. I learned that one from this site. You need to first color the frosting another color such as blue or brown to break up the white then add in the black.

The reason it stays grey is for that reason, you are adding it to white. If you add another color the black will hold better.

HTH Good Luck

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 9

Do you have any other colors you also need for your design? If so, make those first, only make a little more of each than you need for the design. Then put the exta bits into a bowl and mix together. You'll get a nice nasty color. icon_biggrin.gif Then, add black to that. As with any of the darker colors, it also helps to let it sit for a while to deepen. Just remember to keep a moist paper towel or a a piece of plastic wrap sealed over it to keep it from drying out or forming a crust. Royal matures a bit faster than BC, a good hour or two should be enough. I always shoot for a dark gray when making black and it always matures to a black. HTH!

pburgess68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pburgess68 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 9

I know this is an OLLLLD subject but I need help ASAP and everyone has different answers now matter where I look on the web.

I made royal icing. Added wilton black. Turned purple OF COURSE cause this is just my luck. I need to turn it back to black. No other color will do, not a shade of grey, nothing...HAS to be black.

Helppppppppp plsssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 9

wilton colors take time to develop and you need to add quite a bit, try adding more, spread some real thin on a white plate or something and let it dry to see if it dries black. Then for your next project I would recommend americolor. I hope this helps.

pburgess68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pburgess68 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 9

Unfortunately, it's for a wedding cake due this week. I didn't think I'd have such an issue with this! There HAS to be a way to counteract the color. It is now puke green in color.

All in all, I am getting extremely discouraged with Wilton products. Their fondant tastes horrendous, the frostings taste horrid, their colors aren't pleasant to work with, and their plastic cut outs for flowers are really poor quality.

I see why everyone uses other brands. I think they are just a name, that's it.
This is the 2nd project I've tried working on in the last month using their colors. UGH UGH UGH is all I can say!!

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:11am
post #9 of 9

Use black airbrush color in place of the water when you mix up your royal icing. Works great for a red red too if you use red airbrush color. It works. If you don't need much, just making the smallest recipe of royal that you can make,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%