Sugarshack Buttercream

Decorating By caked4life Updated 14 Sep 2014 , 8:22pm by Charhodder

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:09pm
post #31 of 37

Iagurcia, I love the recipe and am grateful for Sharon's sharing it with us. I used Sweetex, but find it is just too expensive for me to mail order it all the time. I found that it is getting more and more difficult to locate trans-fat shortenings, even in independent stores. (Forget Aldi and WalMart here, they no longer carry it.) But if you have a Sav-A-Lot anywhere you, you might find success. You would laugh if you heard me whoop with joy when I saw trans fat on the label. People must have thought me nuts to rhapsodize over shortening!

Jan

spence91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spence91 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:42pm
post #32 of 37

can I use angel white buttercream icing base in place of the sweetex???

Stephr29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephr29 Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 6:47am
post #33 of 37

A*

branbiscuits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
branbiscuits Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 3:53pm
post #34 of 37

hey i made a test batch of the "thicker" version recipe and found it way too thick. i actually had to add quite a bit of milk to thin it down. do you think the original version would work better for me? i usually use Sams Club butt-r-creme icing when i used to do cakes. now i only do cakes for my 2 kids and can't afford $40 for a bucket of Sams especially when im not even going to use all of it. i heard people have switched from sams club to sugar shack's recipe and loved it. i haven't made a test batch of the original because im out of money to spend on this cake! i bought all of the ingredients but im not sure if i should make the original recipe or the thicker version and thin it down. i do need the icing to crust. my thinned down version did crust, but some people are saying that the original recipe doesn't crust? opinions would be great!! thanks!

also, i had some old crisco that i used in my test batch of icing because its what i had on hand. and the smell and taste was very lardy. i did buy new crisco for the icing im actually going to use on the cake. does this recipe usually taste and smell of strong lard? or do you think it was just the old lard/crisco i was using? thanks again :)

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 6:06pm
post #35 of 37

I haven't seen a "thicker" version recipe.  Where would I see this?

On her DVD, she shows making the icing extremely thick (think playdoh) to pipe and use as the dam for filling and stacking layers.  This is NOT used to ice the cake.

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 1:27am
post #36 of 37

Could you replace the dry creamer mixed with water with liquid creamer in this recipe?

Charhodder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charhodder Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 8:22pm
post #37 of 37

How much water do i have to use to dissolve the coffee mate powder?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%