Black/white With Fall Colors?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 4:16am by colombean

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:05am
post #1 of 14

I have a bride that wants the attached cake - white with black details. She had originally been thinking Calla lilies for her flowers. Now she's looking at red/orange/yellow roses. Do you think this will look OK? Thoughts and suggestions would e appreciated!

Thanks,
Stacy
LL

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 14

I think if the callas were each one red orange and yellow--like yellow centers and the calla morphing from orange on the base and on the outside to red at the edge and the inside--or some variation of that then it would work. I've seen callas that color I think.

In my mind it would be cacophanous to combine all those colors as you've described as each one a different flower. Now if you switch the black to brown that would work better.

I mean it might be really cool--but in my brain I'm not digging it as each flower a different color with the same black decor. Maybe Halloween is too close I don't know.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 14

Now if you switch the black to brown that would work better.

I agree. Then the colors would work very well.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 14

I don't know of ANY color that looks bad against black, however with the 3 different colors, it could look strange, but if she's using roses like these

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/50/130247924_02a68a8e34.jpg

I think it would be gorgeous!

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 14

My wedding was black, white, and red. It was gorgeous and I think any one of those colors would be fine with black & white, but not all three. Take a look at these cala lillies. These are real. If you could talk her into something like that it would incorporate all three colors without being tacky. Hope it works out for you!!

http://www.images.com/image/13994/orange-and-red-calla-lily-bouquet-on-railing-with-gazebo-in-background-in-outer-banks-nc/?&results_per_page=1&detail=TRUE&page=32

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 14

I think if you did three layers instead of two and made the each ribbon around each layer either orange, gold, and red respectively as well as make the fleur de lis gold, then I think it will work perfectly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 14

Here's a cake I did that was wrapped in black ribbon and topped with fall color flowers,to give you an idea of how the color combo looks: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1277276

Agree with the above post ..... I can't think of anything that looks bad with black.

I love that cake, btw.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 14

Awesome! See you got the coordinating 'black' in the shadows of that glorious arrangement.

Lovely cake workmanship too.

In the cake pictured by the op, there's not any room to create those shadows--everything's out there kinda bare nekked more.

And I just gotta say, I'd so put the fleur de lis on the ribbons instead of the bows and ditch the fleur on top.

icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 14

I agree with putting the fleur de lis on the ribbons. That would be so much better.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 14

OK, I think I've got her talked into a modified design - one I came up with combining a couple of pictures she liked. The fleur de lis is out (thank goodness) and I suggested the calla lilies that Jenthecakelady linked. I LOVE THOSE! I do think that with a simple black and white design, we need to pick ONE color for all of the flowers - even if that "color" is a marbled yellow/orange/red.

Indy - your cake looks great, as always! Even so, the colors there are more on the dark red/orange side, and there is less black on the actual cake. Plus, my client is wanting me to make the flowers, and I can tell you right now I can't make flowers like that!

I'll let y'all know what we come up with. Thanks for the input!

ThreeDGirlie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:19am
post #11 of 14

Thanks all for your help! Quick turnaround on this one... Here is the finished product. I could definitely use some practice on my piping skills and stringwork... but overall I think it turned out pretty well. icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1472617

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 14

Beautiful!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:31am
post #13 of 14

I'm so not disappointed!!!Good work! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:16am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Now if you switch the black to brown that would work better.

I agree. Then the colors would work very well.

I totally agree. Black doesn't do well with those colors. try to keep tone on tone or you'll end up with a clashing color theme.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%