Glass Building Replica

Decorating By shaymomx5 Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 1:34am by shaymomx5

shaymomx5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaymomx5 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 10

Okay veteran cake decorators. I need help in a big way. My job just moved into a new building and a little birdie told the higher ups that I make cakes. Great, no pressure. Especially since our corporate office will be coming for the dedication. So what do they want? A replica of the building would be nice.
HA! Okay, I like a challenge and now that I have changed my pants I am ready to begin. So, here is the thing. We have a crazy looking building. Luckily it is rectangular shape. That part is no big deal. The real challenge is there are metal supports that come out of the building to hold up the green glass. It is not a solid sheet of green glass, but indiviual pieces with some of the windows not covered by the glass. I know it makes no sense and trust me when people see it they think that it is not done. But hey, I just work there. Now, I think I might know how to put the glass up, but what I don't know is what to use for the glass. Can I boil sugar and pour it into something? Will that stand up and not melt? Any ideas are greatly appreciated and any recipes for the glass replica is also greatly appreciated. Sorry, I don't have any pictures yet, but I may take some next week and post if no one can understand the concept of my writing.

I will put a picture of the finished product on here if successful, otherwise might just be a pretty sheet cake. LOL!

9 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 10

Hi,

If I think I understand your inquiry, you are looking for something that looks like glass that is edible? I have discovered gelatin sheets look very much like windows and work very well when applied to buttercream. You can buy them in some grocery stores and I've even found them in health food stores (organic!) with the powdered gelatin (in that area). Knor makes them as so does Dr. Oetker. You can put them on as is or get them a little wet. I have used them both ways. I've used them as windows, as the glass in a photo frame on a cake, and as a windshield on a car cake. I wish I had a photo, but I dont'. I am currently working on a house cake that I'm using gelatin sheets for. I hope this works for you, if this is what you were actually asking! Good luck with your cake - sounds really cool!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 10

I'm thinking...if it's not a solid sheet of glass (window) maybe thin sugar tiles attached to a dried sheet of of colored/airbrushed/painted pastillage or sugarpaste? And then attach the whole thing to the sides of the building? Oh! (thinking and typing here) maybe you could cut out window shapes from the sugarpaste before it dried and then pour melted sugar in the spaces! Wait, that could melt the sugarpaste icon_rolleyes.gif ...ok, make tiles and attach them in the cutout spaces! I'm gonna keep thinking on this...

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 10

I would use isomalt instead of sugar. Is it very humid in your area because it does affect the performance?.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 10

I would use gelatin sheets & I am so looking forward to seeing the finished cake!!! I have to make a cake for the Grand Opening of a shop & have made a replica of the shop carved out of styrafoam & covered with fondant, it is 14" long & will go on top of an 18 X 13" cake. The cake part will have all the landscaping on it. I hope it turns aout OK. At least I don't have big green glass windows to worry about....thank goodness for that. This cake is for October 24th. When is your cake due?

shaymomx5 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 10

THanks for the suggestions. How would you use isomalt? I am not familiar with using any of this but I will look into the gelatin sheets and see if I can do a mock up before the cake is due. I have a little time it is not due until the first week of November. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated because I will probably try them all before the time gets here. It is going to be cooler, but there will still be humidity in the air during that time.

thanks a bunch,

shaymomx5 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 10

ok here is a picture of the project
LL
LL

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 10

Is there any way you can make the picture bigger?

shaymomx5 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 10

Okay, here is the update. The pic is of the building model which is good because it will help me to size down to cake size. Now, the cake is to feed 700 people. I think I am going to do a replica on sheet cake, but any ideas on how many sheet cakes I will need to put together to feed that many people? This is becoming a massive undertaking!

shaymomx5 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:34am
post #10 of 10

I guess the pic didn't post, I wil try again.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%