They All Touched The Cake!

Decorating By aliciag Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm by NJCakeDiva

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 31

I made a cake for my niece, it was her 18th birthday, so I get there, open the box and.....6 hands on my cake icon_surprised.gif .
The mother, grand-mother, aunt and friends all touched the cake with their hands as soon as the box opened!
I looked at my boyfriend and he had the same face as me, horrified.

Has this happened to anyone?

30 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 31

no

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 31

I guess they don't know anything about food hygeine?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 31

No but I've had them refuse to cut it! I keep forgetting that people are amazed at cake decorating. People look at cakes like a proud father looks through the window of the nursey of his newborn child!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 31

Yep and it's disgusting!

Made my nephews wedding cake, got it set up and all the little old ladies (and some not so old) had to touch it. They swore it was fondant and had to touch it to see. It wasn't..it was buttercream.

A couple girls I had with me to help set up couldn't believe what they were seeing. Needless to say...we wouldn't eat any!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 31

Oh my...I feel your pain LOL!

I did an anniversary cake for my SIL and a few people did the exact same thing.

They said they had never seen fondant before and wanted to see if it was soft like frosting...

Well needless to say I didn't eat any of the cake...my hubby suggested that I bring an extra piece of fondant with me next time and let them touch that LOL

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 31

One time I set my cake up and had someone admire it and then proceed to take one of the accents off and eat it right in front of everyone. I just stood there, speechless (it wasn't even their cake!)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 31

Not just no oh my, oh my no. Was this like laying on of hands for healing of some kind or is this intervention time?

Was this your first cake they ever saw & they were channeling your vibe your work in some strange cosmic occurance.

Way too weird.

They never heard of swine flu & 'sposed to wash your hands to the point of whoever is the most obsessive with it lives?

aliciag Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

They said they had never seen fondant before and wanted to see if it was soft like frosting...

I can understand wanting to touch the fondant but PLEASE wait until it's in your plate.

aliciag Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 31

Most people saw it happen and they still ate cake. I didn't

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 31

So far no! I have had little old ladies knock my DH out of way to cut the amount of cake they wanted, cause his slices were not big enough for them and it wasn't even their cake, nor had they given any money for it(LOL)! DH is 6'1 and 200+lbs, now a retired food caterer-Ha, Ha, Ha
Hammy

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 31

My daughter's school fair contest cake was in plastic wrap. She had put fondant on it, and throughout the day as the classes went through to look at the cakes, so many people poked the cake that when we got it back, it was more holes and dents than cake.

(And yes, I behaved myself and didn't demand a refund of my $3...they make you buy back your child's cake if you want to take it home, in advance).

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 31

Hummm - so why do you eat food at a resturant? Who's been touching the plates, cups, silverware, the FOOD? You don't have a clue what goes on. Someone had to touch that tableware before it was wrapped in that napkin - what was touched before and in between wrapping it? I guess if you don't see it then it doesn't bother you.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Hummm - so why do you eat food at a resturant? Who's been touching the plates, cups, silverware, the FOOD? You don't have a clue what goes on. Someone had to touch that tableware before it was wrapped in that napkin - what was touched before and in between wrapping it? I guess if you don't see it then it doesn't bother you.

And now my OCD thoughts have begun for the day icon_cry.gif

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 31

I was thinking the same exact thing!!!!!!!!! icon_twisted.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:

Let's just hope that everyone working at the restaurant took their health dept. classes, shall we? At the event where the cake was served you can be sure that the folks touching that cake hadn't. I can't believe the nerve of the one guest mentioned earlier who removed a decoration and ate it! One more thing my DH taught me, after unwrapping your silverware from it's napkin, NEVER allow it to touch the table. Ugh.. too many icky things to start the day with...

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 31

This is a little off topic, but some people just have to touch EVERYTHING!!! It always kills me when I'm at a quilt exhibit that absolutely prohibits touching, but people still do. Or, when I go to the Wilton store with all of its beautifully decorated dummies and there are pieces of the royal icing broken off and scattered about. The one that really got me, though, was when we were visiting Luray Caverns in VA -- there are all of these great stalactites hanging down -- and tourists were touching those, despite many warnings. Sheesh!!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 31

Thats just all kinds of wrong. If it had been a big roast turkey would they have touched it? Yuck. We were always taught you see with your eyes, not with your hands and I tell my kids the same thing...but especially food. And I'm not shy about telling other peoples kids...you touched that one-its yours now, or even shooing them away from the food table altogether.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 31

I forgot to mention, this is what a long straight spatula is for...whacking the hands of people who try to touch the cake! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I forgot to mention, this is what a long straight spatula is for...whacking the hands of people who try to touch the cake! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

That made me laugh out loud, now my husband is looking at me and wanting to know why!

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:34pm
post #21 of 31

LOL peridot. good point.
Theres this well known story where I live, There was an arab man eating in a restaurant once, and arabs eat with their hands. He ignored the silverware and ate with his hands. as everyone looked at him and said eeeew, he said "at least Iknow where my hands have been. I dont know where that fork has been" good point I admit!
But yes food poking is gross and at least wait till its on your plate.

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #22 of 31

Sanitation issues aside its just beyond rude! I had a friends girlfriend who I had just met eat a french fry off of my plate at a restaurant when we all went to dinner. Rude!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

This is a little off topic, but some people just have to touch EVERYTHING!!!

I fear I'm a 'toucher'. I'm quite a tactile person and like to get the 'feel' of things. I promise I will try harder to keep my germy hands off yer stuff.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

This is a little off topic, but some people just have to touch EVERYTHING!!!

I fear I'm a 'toucher'. I'm quite a tactile person and like to get the 'feel' of things. I promise I will try harder to keep my germy hands off yer stuff.

I think you may come by it honestly. I teach the toddlers' Sunday School class at our church. There was a boy a few years back who just could hardly stay still. For some reason, when he was sitting on the carpet at story time and I was sitting in front of him on a chair, it calmed him down to rub my ankle. I think he liked the feel of the pantyhose -- I just let him do it. I figured if that's what it took to keep him from bouncing off the walls, so be it! Like I said before, some people just have to touch everything!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Quote:

Let's just hope that everyone working at the restaurant took their health dept. classes, shall we? At the event where the cake was served you can be sure that the folks touching that cake hadn't. I can't believe the nerve of the one guest mentioned earlier who removed a decoration and ate it! One more thing my DH taught me, after unwrapping your silverware from it's napkin, NEVER allow it to touch the table. Ugh.. too many icky things to start the day with...

You think everyone in a restaurant has taken a health department class?

I worked at a pizza joint (big chain) when I was younger. Do you know how many times I saw someone handle money and then go straight to making pizza? Hand washing does not go on like you think in restaurants, lol.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:37pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

You think everyone in a restaurant has taken a health department class?

Even if they have, doesn't mean they do everything they were taught, either!

My DH thinks it's funny how I tot up 'infractions' when we're at the foodcourt at the mall and waiting for our food to be cooked/served. One day I swear I'll pretend to be a Health Inspector, just to see the looks on the workers' faces.

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:

I would hope, but am not naive enough to believe it 100% of the time, that their hands are clean, since they are in the food service business. When I bring MY cake to a venue, I really don't want a lot of people touching it. I don't know if their hands are clean. And if they have been sick or just aren't practicing good hygiene, then I really don't want them contaminating my cake. Especially now when everyone is flu-paranoid. What goes on in other places is their problem, but I want my cakes to be as flawless as possible for my customers - and flawless includes not everyone and their Mom sticking their fingers in my cake. icon_surprised.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #28 of 31

That's just odd to me. I don't know why anyone would just go around touching a cake! And I would definitely say something about touching the fondant once it's on THEIR plate - if they just had to TOUCH it!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:06pm
post #29 of 31

Its rude to do it...on the other hand, sometimes the fondant cakes just BEG for someone to touch it to see if its real! haha. Many people have never seen such a "realistic" cake as we might make, and can't help but gently touch it.

I figure most people don't eat a ton of fondant anyway so....I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course I'm not as paranoid as some about germs...I like clean hands and a clean workspace and I don't take my kids to McD's playplace in the winter, LOL....but germs are everywhere and we can't live in a bubble.

aliciag Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #30 of 31

I do think hygiene is really important but that's not the point.
I just never thought a cake was something to touch.You touch chips in a bowl, not a cake, or so I thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%