18 In Square Cake

Decorating By carlascakes Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 3:32am by ZAKIA6

carlascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlascakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 15

so i have to do a wedding cake that is 18in i am scared to flip the 2nd layer scared it will fall apart or same thing . then i have to cover it in fondant any advice on this will help . i have never done a cake this big

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 15

I haven't done one that big but to flip it, use a cookie sheet with no edge on it. Also, I've heard if you freeze a big layer even for a little while, it will get a lot easier to handle.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 15

Wouldn't it be easier to handle and quicker to cook if you baked four 9" square cakes and stuck them together with buttercream?

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 15

When I make big cakes like that I let it cool then put plastic wrap over the top of the pan (with extra on either side of the pan) then flip over so that the plastic wrap is underneath then fold the excess plastic wrap over the exposed part then I flip back into the pan (after washing and drying it) then put cake and pan in freezer until cake is frozen and then remove the pan. I flip it back into the pan so that it doesn't crack while I'm trying to get it to the freezer. Hope all this makes sense.

Also, in pan that big I would use either 2-3 flower nails or the baking core when cooking it so that the middle gets done.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 15

I recently did a big ole square 18 in. cake...I flipped it out onto the cake board...I sprinkled the cake board w/ a bit of constarch. Cooled to room temp. then put in the freezer...Definitely easier to move that size of cake when it's frozen. They make really big cooling racks that you can buy...I'm just too cheap.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 15

I so agree with you on placing big cakes on top, i think freezing it is a great way to do it. I am someone who never freezes her cakes but for the short amount of time that you will have it in the freezer i don't think it will hurt it. When i turn them out of the pan i use a board that fits over cake pan.

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 15

Just a quick question...does tv 18" pan even fit in your oven? I know it wouldn't fit in mine! That's a big pan!

carlascakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #8 of 15

i am going to be using a professional kitchen for this cake but no it will not fit in my oven at home

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #9 of 15

Yeah, how do you cover a cake that big with fondant? icon_eek.gif Good luck!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 15

The same way you do a little cake don't let it intimidate you. Just make sure you roll your fondant large enough It will have to be at least a 28' squre piece of fondant. You will need an extra long rolling pin for that large I use a 2 1/2 foot piece of heavy pvc pipe. After rolling brush fondant lightly with cornstarch and roll of on your pin. lay fondant so theres enough on the far size and unroll.HTH

carlascakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 15

pvc great idea thanks i will post after the cake is done

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 15

I just recently watched one of the videos on Satin Ice & I think it was Ron Ben Israel that uses water pipe (is that PVC?) to roll out his fondant. Glad you thought of a prof. kitchen before you mixed up the batter & started to put it in your oven icon_smile.gif. man that's going to be a lot of batter!

I've not done an 18" but w/ my 14" round I flipped it onto a Tuff board sprinkled w/ PS & it slid right off onto the layer below.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:22am
post #13 of 15

That is a great tip dandelion56602, I have to make an 18X13 rectangle cake & although my oven is big enough! my freezer isn't. I will try the PS on a board, thank you.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #14 of 15

When I have to use a big piece of fondant I like to roll my fondant out on a heavey piece of plastic (you can get it at walmart in the fabric department) I rub crisco on it lightly roll my fondant then flip it on to my cake to me it;s easier to position on my cake, as for the cake it self I alway put wax paper on my cake then flip it on a large cooling cookie rack slide it off the rack by pulling the wax paper on to my work space then cut it in half and level it put it back together with frosting and I do the second layer the same way and it works out great

Molly

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:32am
post #15 of 15

If u have larger sized square cakes and ur oven is not that big you can always bake samller squares and put together.for example you could have put 4 9" sqrs together. It might be a little more time/work but its an option

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%