Cupcake Liner Problem

Baking By Pastille Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm by stsapph

Pastille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastille Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 6

Dear Everybody,

I need your help and expertise.

I have recently been having problems with my cupcakes and cupcake liners. After baking, overtime the cupcake liner starts pulling away/ separates from the cake itself. I have searched high and low for a solution online and by trial and error but I haven't found a fool-proof solution. I have tried changing recipes, changing technique (creaming, one-bowl method), filling the cups enough so that the cake rises above the liner rim, not overbaking, not underbaking, increasing sugar in recipe etc. I have read that humidity could be a factor but of course, most bakers do experience days where humidity might be high so what could be a solution for this? I am currently setting-up a mini-cupcakes business and this is the only thing that is holding me back.

I would love to hear your advice.

Best regards,

Pastille

5 replies
loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 6

Mmmm... often wondered the same thing myself!!

Pastille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastille Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:20am
post #3 of 6

I have also tried using frosting and melted chocolate to fuse back the liner to the cake but I do not think that this is an effective method as the cake does not look attractive to eat once you see the frosting/chocolate as glue when peeling the liner.

I have actually seen one cupcake place the other day who seem to be experiencing the same thing and they just removed the "peeling away" liner and replaced it with a new one. I wonder though what customers think when they see that the cake they bought was just sitting and not baked on this paper cup.

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #4 of 6

I have this problem also but it is only when the cupcake starts to dry out. When they are fresh and taste the best the liners are fine. There really is no way to prevent this I don't think. Just serve your cupcakes as fresh as possible.

This also happens to me when I freeze cupcakes and then thaw out.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

Try immediately removing the cupcakes from the tin. It seems to have to do with how they cool.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 6

I've also noticed that his happens more with the cheaper liners. i.e. the grocery store brands and so on. Than again, it could have just been summer in the south.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%