What Is The Best Way To Make Clouds?

Decorating By chelseak Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm by chelseak

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:45am
post #1 of 6

I am making a baby shower cake and each tier is going to be completely covered in 'clouds' to look like the baby is floating on them. Buttercream would be the best choice? Should it be thicker or thinner? I read somewhere that marshmallows were used in BC, what does that do to it? I really appreciate any suggestions or ideas!

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #2 of 6

You COULD just go with marshmallow fluff... Or a frosting made with it... It would just make the frosting a bit lighter, but would still be extra sweet.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:33am
post #3 of 6

Actually, marshmallow fluff from the jar will melt and ooze all over the place....trust me, I've tried to use it to disasterous results (fortunately 2 year old nephews aren't too picky about things like that!).

I would just use regular ol buttercream and pipe it with an open coupler or a tip 12.

Miffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miffy Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:31am
post #4 of 6

Whenever I do clouds I make Italian Meringue. The BC I make always turns out slightly yellow (I use butter) so I started using meringue. I think the clouds look better anyway.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:53am
post #5 of 6

i made some using melted white chocolate to which i added wilton's whitener.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! I think I will try the BC with the open coupler. I don't have to do it for a couple weeks anyways, so I will try it out. Thanks a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%