I've Tried Everything And My Cookies Still Swell

Baking By mysweetconfetions Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm by makeminepink

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 24

How do I get my cookies to hold their shape? I use the NFSC recipe, put them in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before baking, make sure my pans are cool when I put them on it to bake, and still htey swell up and loose their shape. What am I doing wrong? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

23 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 24

I don't use the NFSC but maybe you could try putting less baking powder or leave it out entirely

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 24

I've had really good luck with that recipe. Are you sifting your flour before you measure it? (would equal less flour than needed for recipe) Are you using extra-large eggs or adding more extracts than called for? (both will add extra moisture to your dough) The only thing I can think of right off is your dough is too soft. Oh, and I only use real butter, are you using margarine? I believe that would make them spread more.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 24

I love this recipe!! But I had that problem with the second batch I made. Since then, they've been perfect and the only difference I could find was I used extra huge, really fresh eggs in that batch so I'm sure there was more moisture in there than necessary.

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 24

I use real butter and sift my flour. I make it exactly per the recipe...I just don't know what I could be doing wrong...

kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetconfetions

I use real butter and sift my flour. I make it exactly per the recipe...I just don't know what I could be doing wrong...

Be sure to sift AFTER you measure.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetconfetions

How do I get my cookies to hold their shape? I use the NFSC recipe, put them in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before baking, make sure my pans are cool when I put them on it to bake, and still htey swell up and loose their shape. What am I doing wrong? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

I use a mix that my local supply store has and it's perfect. All I have to do is add water. They are K&B Cake and Candy Supplies, North Versailles, PA 15137 412-824-5500
Last Spring I made some of these cookies and decorated them with their pre-fab icing and they were fantastic. People loved them. And the best part was all I had to do was add the water, roll, cut and bake them. No puffing, no problems at all. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. hlh

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 24

I used NFSC for couple of times, and my spread as well. What I do is just after is baked and still hot, I cut the shape with cookie cutter again.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 24

I used the NFSC recipe too and have never had a problem....

My only suggestion is NOT sifting the flour---I have never sifted my flour when I make them...

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 24

I use extra large eggs and don't sift when making NFSC and rarely have had a problem. On the rare occassion where they do expand a little, when they come out of oven, I do recut with the cookie cutter. Also, I roll my cookies out on my counter sprinkled with CF not flour.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 24

Leave out any baking soda or baking powder. I use the Cookie Bouquet recipe (have never compared it to NFSC so don't know if they're similar) and my cookies hold their shape wonderfully. No rising or puffing up during baking.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 24

It might be the butter. Butter these days has more water than previous. Maybe try adding more flour.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 24

Try omitting the baking powder all together...that worked for me. Also, after I cut the cookie I freeze for about 10mnts then bake and works perfect!!
Good luck

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 24

I use the recipe from the book "Cookie Craft". It does not have any baking soda or baking powder. I have never, never had a cookie loose its shape and I have made dozens of cookies over the past couple of years. It is the greatest recipe that I have ever used. I have never used the NFSC recipe so I really cannot compare.

3 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
1 large egg
2 tsps vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla plus the zest of a lemon.

Measure salt and flour into a bowl and whisk together to mix. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla (lemon zest). Mix until well blended. With mixer on low add flour mixture and blend thoroughly. The dough will be sticky. I wrap it in plastic wrap and firm but not hard. If you leave it overnight let it soften a at room temperature. Roll on flour covered nonstick mat with a little flour. Cut with your cookie cutters and lay on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate about 15 minutes until well chilled and baked till done. I start at about 10 mintues for a 3 inch cookie.

Hope this helps.....

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #15 of 24

i swear by the cookie craft recipe too. very good and reliable.

i do not freeze my cookies, but i do fridge them for 15-30 minutes before baking.

diane

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:04am
post #16 of 24

I use Penny's butter cookies and follow directions like Antonia's cookies. I use Antonia's icing. They are nice and IMHO taste better than NFSC. It's a matter of preference though...

my2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2boys Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #17 of 24

Dont add any baking powder. I once forgot to add the baking powder and they came out great! they didnt spread or swell up on one side. Also you must refrigerate them after you roll them out. Good luck.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #18 of 24

I wouldn't really recommend sifting for cookies either. The only time I have much trouble with that is sometimes the first batch I roll out-- the dough is just too soft. I use a recipe from here--- I think it's Softer Sugar Cookies, but not sure at the moment. It actually is a little softer than NFSC, but I roll it out like 3 times before I cut them out and place them on the sheet. Dust the counter with flour, roll out, gather it back up, do it again, and the 3rd time, cut them out. Sounds crazy, but it works and I like the way these stay softer than NFSC. Rolled cookies can be a little tricky!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #19 of 24

My girlfriend got an order for like 2 or 3 thousand nfsc. Thousands of cookies with a logo. She mailed some out to test (wonder where she got that idea icon_biggrin.gif ) to make sure all would go well. Lo and behold two cookies arrived in my mailbox.

Dude, she just wrapped them in plastic and put 'em in a plain paper envelope--kid you not. Mailed 'em. icon_lol.gif They were freaking perfect. Tasted great, not broken.

She's a genius.

makeminepink Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:06am
post #20 of 24

The sugar cookie recipe I like is Soft Sugar Cookies submitted by Melchas.

kansaslaura Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #21 of 24

I like to sift AFTER I measure simply to combine ingredients and prevent any possible lumps in baking powder or baking soda if the recipe calls for it. My point for bringing up sifting in the first place was to be sure IF she sifted it was done AFTER measuring for this recipe.

They're a great cookie! Hope you get it worked out icon_smile.gif

mrslevite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslevite Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #22 of 24

Are you at a higher elevation that might effect the results? If so, maybe someone else at a high elevation can chime in with suggestions.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #23 of 24

I made the NFSC last week, for the first time, and had no problems, I followed the recipe to the T and I rolled them out between two sheets, of parchment using my perfection strips for even thickness, and they were awesome I recommend that you buy Cookie Craft By Valarie peterson and Janice Fryer that book is freakin awesome all the tips and tricks for cookie making

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

The link is not working when you click it put in perfection strips in the search bar

You can also buy them from your hardware store

makeminepink Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #24 of 24

kansaslaura-- good idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%