How To Color Dry Gumpaste Roses?

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm by all4cake

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:02am
post #1 of 13

Hi. How do I color dry gumpaste roses by hand? Thanks in advance.

12 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:27am
post #2 of 13

I was told by my Aunty to dust the roses with colour and then heat your kettle and pass the rose over the steam coming out of the spout to set the colour - you don't leave it sitting there, just pass it through the steam. I have never tried it so I don't know how well it works.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 13

If they're completely dry and wired, they can be dipped. Mix your color ( I use airbrush colors and 190 proof) in a container large enough that your item can be completely submerged with enough color mix to do so too. Have ready an empty shoe box or some other wide not too deep box.
Take your wired flower, holding it by its' wire, dip it into the solution(keeping it upside down the entire time)...kind of bob it up and down lightly a couple of times. Still keeping it upside down, hold it between your palms and down into to box, spin to remove excess liquid by rolling the wire between your palms. Hang upside down to dry. Dry completely between dippings.

I use the separate box to spin in so I don't have to mix up so much liquid to fill the volume needed to submerge larger items.

Lou71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lou71 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 13

I have always used petal dust and dusted the flowers and then when the kettle is boiling (without lid), pass the flowers & petails across the kettle, do not stop on top of kettle otherwise the steam will melt your items. The different depth of shade and variation of colour of shades on your flowers by using the petal dust will give it more a realistic item.

The point of steaming them is to set the colour so the colour will not go on top of your cake.

I would be very frightened to dip the items into liquid because any form of liquid on your gum paste will just melt it. I have never used an airbrush to colour the flowers etc, so don;t know how that process will work.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 13

I've dusted them with chalk and then steamed them. I have also painted the flowers with a mix of vodka and color. Both methods work. For me the chalk was more subtle, and the paint made more vivid colors.

Dipping them is a great idea, though. I had never thought of that.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 13

I hand paint mine with airbrush color mixed with alcohol and then dust after dry with the lighter colors that are necessary. The dipping method works well too just very messy.

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou71

I would be very frightened to dip the items into liquid because any form of liquid on your gum paste will just melt it. I have never used an airbrush to colour the flowers etc, so don;t know how that process will work.

Mixing the color with the grain alcohol (190 proof) allows it to dry before gumming can take place. It's best for the flowers to be completely dry to use this method

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 13

i've read other posts about coloring with chalk and have a (possibly silly) question.
is the chalk specifically made for dusting food or do you use the kind that kids play with?

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 13

We were told to use the non-toxic pastels and grate them by rubbing them on a strainer....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 13

That's what it said in the Wilton book too...use chalk and grate it. I use non-toxic artists chalk. I bought a box of 50 colors at Hobby Lobby for $5...about the same as one container of petal dust icon_biggrin.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 13

I use non-toxic chalk. I don't grate it, I just scribble on a paper plate, and use a paint brush from there. My kids LOVE helping me paint roses!

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 13

so is it the chalk found in the kid's aisle (sidewalk chalk)?

thanks!

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 13

noooooooooooo not sidewalk chalk. in the craft section....near the paints...make sure it states non-toxic...not all of them are. They're usually rectangular sticks of color and come in a package of many many many colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%