Pound Cakes To Layer Cakes

Decorating By charliecakes Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 12:26am by charliecakes

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

Can you bake a pound cake in a regular 2inch hich layer cake pan. My pound cakes come out perfectly but my layer cakes always sink at the last few minutes in the oven. They look perfect one minute and the next the center sinks like a rock. Has this happened to anyone?

6 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 7

If your cakes sink in the center, they are probably not quite done. Try lowering the temperature to 325 degrees and they will bake a little more evenly.

Pound cakes can be baked in most any shape, as far as I know.

charliecakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 7

thanks for the adivce but they are sinking before they even come out of the oven. They look fine and seem to want to rise. The outer edges cook up and rise, the center starts to rise but never makes it and then it sinks

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 7

Hmm
Any of these sound familiar?
Fault cake sinking in the center

Causes

1 Too much aeration. This may be caused by: (a) Too much sugar used in the recipe. This can be detected by excessive crust color and a sticky seam running in the shape of a U.

(b) Too much baking powder. Difficult to detect because it can be confused with (c).

(c) Overbeating of fat/sugar/egg batter prior to adding flour.

2. Undercooked. This can easily be detected by the presence of a wet seam just below the surface of the top crust.

3. Knocking in oven prior to cakes being set. If during cooking when all the ingredients are in a fluid state, a cake gets a knock or disturbance (such as a draught of cold air) some collapse may take place which will result in the center of the cake caving in.

4. Too much liquid. This is easy to detect because, firstly the sides will tend to cave in as well as the top, and if the cake is cut a seam will be discovered immediately above the bottom crust. Cakes containing too much liquid do not show this fault until they are removed from the oven. During baking, the excess moisture is in the form of steam and actually contributes to the aeration of the cake. On cooling, this steam condenses into water which sinks to the bottom of the cake, collapsing the texture by so doing.

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 7

I have made a couple that had fallen just like yours. I think the problem was too much sugar. I had made the strawberry cake off the "gourmet flavors" doc. Someone mentioned adding 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 extra egg and since I have been doing that I haven't had a cake too fall.

Hope this helps,
Wanda

charliecakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 7

thanks cocobaby and 7yyrt. This is so frustrating. I don't know maybe i'm overmixing or undermixing my sugar and butter. How long does it usually take on a kitchen aide mixer. To me, it looks like after 3 minutes its ready. Am i not putting in enough air. I have a standard kitchen aid mixer and i usually cream on speed 4. thanks for everyones advice

charliecakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #7 of 7

cocobaby, you added baking soda, did this recipe already have baking soda and power in it, so you just added extra? Am i right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%