Elephant Skin On Fondant?

Decorating By manomi Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm by whitet4

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
Sometimes when i roll out the fondant and cover the cake with it, the next day i notice patches of small cracks (looks like elephant skin to me) I am able to make it better by rubbing some crisco, but i really want to know what is causing this?i m thinking maybe i'm using too much sugar when i m rolling it. But if i don't, it sticks to the countertop icon_sad.gif Maybe i m not rolling it thin enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Oh, I use Satin ice btw.

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

when i use satin ice.. i have had the same problem.. i notice it pretty soon. even before the next day.. someone hopefully has the answer.. i like pettinice better than satin ice... it seems like... you have to really work fast with satin ice.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 5

You get 'elephant skin' when your fondant dries out, You could be using too much sugar. Try rubbing your surfaces with white shortening before you start, tends to make it easier. or try getting some vinyl to roll your fondant on, it normally doesnt stick to that.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 5

I love Satin Ice, but I don't even touch sugar when I'm trying to roll it out, it sticks to everything! Try rolling it out with shortening, as PP mentioned, or cornstarch. I usually just use corstarch when I'm working with small pieces, figures or whatnot, but the fondant won't absorb it the way it does with sugar. I love the shortening trick the best, you have to spend less time working with and it won't dry out. Clean up is a mess, though.

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with using pettinice, I have always had trouble with Satin Ice and then tried pettinice and love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%