What Size Boxes/boards For Half Sheet Cake?

Decorating By melissad Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 12:54am by melissad

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 11

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem: I have the Wilton half sheet 12x18 pans, but the only boxes/boards I can find in the store are 14x19, so by the time my cake is frosted, there's little to no room for borders.

I've realized that part of the problem is the pans do not have straight sides, so they measure closer to 12.5x18.5 at the top edge. So I'm thinking new straight sided pans will help, but even then, that only leaves 1/2 inch on each short end. I normally go for 1-2" of space on a round, so I'm wondering what you all do on sheets/half sheets? I did some searching online, but still didn't find boxes that seemed to be allow more room...

Thanks in advance for your advice!

10 replies
jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 11

melissad,

I know what you mean!! I have run into the same thing. I have the Wilton straight pan and it barely fits in the box. One time I did a delivery and I had to tape the corners with the box left open about 4-5 inches talk about unprofessional !! Thankfully she fell in love with her daughters Christening cake so maybe she didn't notice icon_redface.gif ( ya right!) I am making a sheet tomorrow and I will be going to a local bakery supply first to see if they have something . Good luck! icon_smile.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 11

What burned me is that the Wilton boards don't fit in the Wilton box! You'd think they'd at least figure that one out!

jclvs2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:44am
post #4 of 11

HAHA !! That is frustrating I know. That is odd that they would not catch that for such a well known business.! Go figure.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #5 of 11

I had that issue when I first started doing cakes a long time ago. Plus I really hated the instability of cardboard. So my husband cut cake boards for me using 1/2" plywood. He sanded the edges so they are rounded slightly. The half sheet board is about 15x21.

I cover the boards completely with white Contact plastic, seal the edges with 2"wide clear book binding tape and then cover the top with foil taped on the back with masking tape. MY business card is under book tape in the middle of the back. The Contact lasts a long time and can be wiped clean, and of course the foil is disposable. I use plastic storage boxes flipped over with the lid as the base. They are completely washable.

Some of my boards and boxes are over 15 years old. They've saved me a ton of money over the years, because my clients always return my stuff. Here's what they look like.
LL

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:18am
post #6 of 11

Great idea sugarfrosted!

jclvs2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:54am
post #7 of 11

Awesome idea!!! icon_surprised.gif Love it !! icon_lol.gif Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 11

Thats a great idea!!!

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 11

I use 14x20 boards and boxes that I get at my local cake supply store. Very reasonably priced, they have boards and boxes in all sizes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa

I use 14x20 boards and boxes that I get at my local cake supply store. Very reasonably priced, they have boards and boxes in all sizes.

Same here. I'm very blessed to have a great cake shop that has everything I could ever need. She even has boards larger than 14x20!

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions (and for confirming I'm not the only one who has struggled with this). I'll have to see if I can find some 14x20's online, as I'm not lucky enough to have a good cake supply shop nearby.

I'll also keep the plastic box idea in mind. I've done something similiar with a small round cake and upside-down lidded bowl when I was in a jam before, but hadn't thought of it for the larger cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%